Model Cars Magazine Forum

ERTL Drag Truck

Saw this while looking for something else and have never heard of it before
Whats the story behind this kit?
Did they want to try to mimic the superboss and bandag bandit, or this was released before those were?
Did anyone here build it?
988648-24311-24-pristine.jpg.9a8e9933b11da3c4e35b3dfa5e5c712f.jpg

Edited by PierreR89

1982 ERTL did a Peterbilt 359 with a die-cast metal chassis and this is the racing version of that truck, this and the regular 359 is not good kits after what I have read.
ERTL also did a racing version of the International 4300 truck 1981 but is was all plastic, the F-4270 was done up and shown as a racing truck in the 1981 Catalog but I don't think they ever did that one, the kit number is the same for both so I think they just did the 4300, it is basically the same as the regular hiigway truck without the sleeper and with some added parts like a roll bar.
I don't know if they were inspired by the Tyrone Malone trucks, but they were released about the same time as Malone got more known and AMT did kits of his trucks.

The 4300 "race truck" was put out when it was popular to race big rigs on race track's If one recalls Smokey and the Bandit 1 & 2 They called them Truck rodeo's. Most of the truck raced at those events were regular used trucks . Also if you look close at the 4300's photo you'll see that it was using the 4270 frame with the air ride suspension!

ERTL 8039 4300vg.jpg

Edited by ranma

Yes, but the kit had the same walking beam rear suspension as the regular 4300 kit.

Here is a picture of the racing version of the F4270 from the 1981 catalogue with Dayton wheels, short hood and air ride, but it never appeared as they did the 4300 Eagle instead.

catalogusERTL198103.jpg.eec07811b9dac6ee6da032e170159a00.jpg

Edited by Force

1 hour ago, Force said:

Yes, but the kit had the same walking beam rear suspension as the regular 4300 kit.

Here is a picture of the racing version of the F4270 from the 1981 catalogue with Dayton wheels, short hood and air ride, but it never appeared as they did the 4300 Eagle instead.

catalogusERTL198103.jpg.eec07811b9dac6ee6da032e170159a00.jpg

I never knew they did the International rig or Bandit 2’s trailer! Wow! And

they say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, I learn something new every day!!

The Bandit 2 trailer is not really correct as the the movie trailer was a step deck trailer and smaller wheels, ERTL just used what they already had and did some new decals for their Great Dane box trailer.

Edited by Force

7 hours ago, Force said:

The Bandit 2 trailer is not really correct as the the movie trailer was a step deck trailer and smaller wheels, ERTL just used what they already had and did some new decals for their Great Dane box trailer.

I didn't think something looked right about it, now that you say it, that makes sense..

Thanks i did not know any of this.
Exept for the smokey and the bandit 2 trailer, i have seen that before and thought of buying it a few years ago.
But then i saw that it was wrong compared to the real thing so i skipped on it.
Also thought about buing the rubber duck mack when i saw it first but then i did some research on it and found out that it is nothing like the movietruck exept the bullbar..

Yes the ERTL kit of the Rubber Duck truck doesn't look anything like the movie truck, far from it, so it's not worth the money they ask for them, I bought one back in 1978-79 when they were new and was so disappointed that I never finished it.
The movie truck is a Western RS700L and the kit is a DM600 so the bull bar, hood ornament, air foil and some of the decals are the only things you can use from the kit, the rest is so wrong.
It's better to buy the AITM resin kit instead and you will get one for about the same price as the kit asking price on ebay when it's offered there.