Model Cars Magazine Forum

1986 Porsche 961, the 24 Hours of Le Mans build

Atmobil

IMG_3100-vi.jpg

This is Tamiyas Snap-Loc Porsche 961, it was entered in the 1986 24 hour race and came in 7th total.
https://www.porscheroadandrace.com/961-porsches-forgotten-jewel/

IMG_3101-vi.jpg

IMG_3102-vi.jpg

As it is a very simple kit of a Le Mans racer it was a perfect build to do while I was watching the race.
I did manage to finish it (almost) in the 24 hours but have not had time before now to finish the last bits (I added som wash to the panelgaps and a slight weathering today) and take some phots of it.

IMG_3092-vi.jpg

IMG_3093-vi.jpg

IMG_3095-vi.jpg

IMG_3096-vi.jpg

As you can see, not a lot of detail. The windows are mounted in the body from the factory and the headlights, turnsignals and taillights are all decals. It comes with masks to mask out the windows for painting. I see now that I need to touch up the doorhandles a littlebit. A great build for a 24 hour race and I think I can also be able to convert it in to a slotcar racer later as the floorpan is attached with some tabs on the sides and not glued in place.

Before the 961 was a Snap-Loc model, it was a Tam Tech 1/24 scale R/C model. The body and decals are unchanged between the two with the exception of the Tam Tech having an antenna hole in the roof IIRC. All you should have to do to make it a slot car is to figure out how to mount the body on the chassis. The body is designed so nothing will fall off, even after a fairly severe collision.

Thank you all for the nice comments:)

3 hours ago, Cpt Tuttle said:

Have you started slot racing? :) Nice to see that stuff is still coming from your bench.

Not yet, but the modelclub switched meetingplace last year to the same premises as the local slot car club and they got a track that is 55 meter long with 8 tracks and is made for 1:24. They do use a lot of modelkits for slotcar racing and I'm very tempted to try it out.

2 hours ago, SSNJim said:

Before the 961 was a Snap-Loc model, it was a Tam Tech 1/24 scale R/C model. The body and decals are unchanged between the two with the exception of the Tam Tech having an antenna hole in the roof IIRC. All you should have to do to make it a slot car is to figure out how to mount the body on the chassis. The body is designed so nothing will fall off, even after a fairly severe collision.

I figured it was something like that as there is provisions for batteries and a motor in the chassis and one can take the body of very easily.

On 18.7.2019 at 2:27 PM, SSNJim said:

Before the 961 was a Snap-Loc model, it was a Tam Tech 1/24 scale R/C model. The body and decals are unchanged between the two with the exception of the Tam Tech having an antenna hole in the roof IIRC.

Fully agree. The Tamiya Porsche 962 kits come from the same R/C background and therefore come with those unfortunate glued-in windshield and headlight cover parts. Which is why it is usually wiser to pick one of the Hasegawa kits.

@Atmobil: well done on this kit.

The headlight decals have always been what kept me from buying this kit. I feel that using parts from a 959 donor kit would be the best way to get an appropriate solution to this optical problem.