Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting Wood Grain - Not typical grain pattern - Burl Wood

Does anyone have an idea(s) for painting wood grain as it appears in this picture from a Ford Econoline's interior?

It's not the typical wood grain that can be painted with brush lines showing.

9472211-1978-ford-e150-std.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

What I do is put a wet coat of Testors "wood" on the area and then dab it with dark brown on a small brush while still wet. Takes a bit of practice but you can pull off a pretty good "burlwood" pattern this way. 

Also, a coat of Tamiya clear yellow after it's dry adds a varnished look to it.

IMG 2356

IMG 2357

3 hours ago, Can-Con said:

What I do is put a wet coat of Testors "wood" on the area and then dab it with dark brown on a small brush while still wet. Takes a bit of practice but you can pull off a pretty good "burlwood" pattern this way. 

Also, a coat of Tamiya clear yellow after it's dry adds a varnished look to it.

IMG 2356

IMG 2357

Your burlwood pattern came out perfect!

Leave the first lighter color wet while dabbing the dark brown color?

Testors Acryl paints have a slower drying time compared to Tamiya. You can brush on a fairly heavy coat of MM 4763 Wood for the base. Then, dab a dark brown over the Wood with a fine brush in a random swirling pattern. You can even dab some thinned black to impart a fancy-schmancy Black Forest Walnut burl look

image.png.2381e4d8dd99df145937c8c8c7b25efa.png

As Steve indicated, overcoat with clear yellow or clear orange. Or, just clearcoat with acrylic gloss or even Pledge whateverthehellitscallednow.

54 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Testors Acryl paints have a slower drying time compared to Tamiya. You can brush on a fairly heavy coat of MM 4763 Wood for the base. Then, dab a dark brown over the Wood with a fine brush in a random swirling pattern. You can even dab some thinned black to impart a fancy-schmancy Black Forest Walnut burl look

image.png.2381e4d8dd99df145937c8c8c7b25efa.png

As Steve indicated, overcoat with clear yellow or clear orange. Or, just clearcoat with acrylic gloss or even Pledge whateverthehellitscallednow.

You're right about the Testors acrylic paint drying slower.  I'll use that instead of the Tamiya.

Does the Testors Wood base coat have to stay wet while dabbing on the dark brown?

1 hour ago, randyc said:

Dann Tier did some burl wood in his Reengineered Lotus Esprit thread.   Check there too.   About hte same process as indicated above.  

Dann Tire's technique involves dry brushing.  I already have those colors he used so I think I'll give that a try first.

• 2 weeks later...