Model Cars Magazine Forum

Holley 4 bbl carb Which kit?

Found this great 1/25th 4 bbl carb in my parts box. Am in need of another. Does anyone known what kit it came out of?  I sprayed it gold as it was chrome and wouldn't be as clear in a pic.  I think this chrome air cleaner went to it, has a offset rectangle internal mount. Maybe a extra display engine in some kit? 

4bbl carb.JPG

air cleaner (2).JPG

Edited by magicmustang

It looks to be a Holley 4160 series carburetor with side hung floats but without the vacuum chamber for the second stage, the 4150 series has center hung floats and have different looking float bowls.

10 hours ago, Force said:

It looks to be a Holley 4160 series carburetor with side hung floats but without the vacuum chamber for the second stage, the 4150 series has center hung floats and have different looking float bowls.

Here's what I'm trying to replicate. As used on Bill Jenkins' 1972 Vega Pro Stock.

jenkins 72 vega engine.jpg

Almost - but both of the Fireball carbs above have vacuum secondaries with the large diaphragm housing.  In the early to mid 1970's, Jenkins and most of the tunnel ram small block Chevys used R4224 Holley 660 cfm center squirt, 1:1 mechanical secondary tunnel ram carbs with secondary metering blocks added, choke housings cut off, and other modifications.  I don't see such carbs in Fireball's list but I hope Joseph offers them in the future.

Edited by Muncie

Yes, I know they are not exacty right but they are the closest Joseph has right now, the vacuum diaphragm housing for the secondarys can be carefully removed to make it look like it's mechanical and the choke housing can be cut down slightly to more resemble the carbs "Grumpy" used, but it's harder to fix the secondary metering block as the secondary side doesn't have any on these carburetors...the regular 4160 series carbs don't have a metering block on the secondary side so what Joseph has is right...but the ones used in racing was modified.

The carburetors are very visible on a race car model as many race cars don't use air cleaners (at least for drag racing) so they need to be very detailed to look right on the model.
IMHO Joseph has the best detailed carburetors out there, but most of the ones he offers today are not really suited for race car use were the carbs are out in the open as the choke butterfies are closed on many of the carbs he has now.
Race cars don't have chokes and it's the first thing to go when you adapt a carb for racing use, so if the choke butterfly on his carbs had been open it could be cut off and the venturi detail inside the choke housing can be shown, but the best option is to leave the choke butterfly off alltogether on a racing version, in that case you can keep the choke housing as is or it can be cut down and/or shaved off if you want to.
Today Holley and others offer carburetors for racing use off the shelf without any choke housing what so ever, but it was another thing back then when you had to modify regular units.
Many of the racing carbs are also all mechanical with no vacuum housings.

So I wish Joseph did more racing versions of his carburetors and I also wish that he would do detailed versions of the Holley 4500 Dominator, because the Dominators in the Revell/Monogram Pro Stock kits are awful and the best I have seen so far is the ones Futurattraction has with resin body and photo etched venturi detail but they are a bit fiddly to put together:
The best model kit versions I have seen so far are from Jo-Han, they are definately not perfect but decent.

4 hours ago, Force said:

Yes, I know they are not exacty right but they are the closest Joseph has right now, the vacuum diaphragm housing for the secondarys can be carefully removed to make it look like it's mechanical and the choke housing can be cut down slightly to more resemble the carbs "Grumpy" used, but it's harder to fix the secondary metering block as the secondary side doesn't have any on these carburetors...the regular 4160 series carbs don't have a metering block on the secondary side so what Joseph has is right...but the ones used in racing was modified.

The carburetors are very visible on a race car model as many race cars don't use air cleaners (at least for drag racing) so they need to be very detailed to look right on the model.
IMHO Joseph has the best detailed carburetors out there, but most of the ones he offers today are not really suited for race car use were the carbs are out in the open as the choke butterfies are closed on many of the carbs he has now.
Race cars don't have chokes and it's the first thing to go when you adapt a carb for racing use, so if the choke butterfly on his carbs had been open it could be cut off and the venturi detail inside the choke housing can be shown, but the best option is to leave the choke butterfly off alltogether on a racing version, in that case you can keep the choke housing as is or it can be cut down and/or shaved off if you want to.
Today Holley and others offer carburetors for racing use off the shelf without any choke housing what so ever, but it was another thing back then when you had to modify regular units.

So I wish Joseph did more racing versions of his carburetors and I also wish that he would do detailed versions of the Holley 4500 Dominator, because the Dominators in the Revell/Monogram Pro Stock kits are awful and the best I have seen so far is the ones Futurattraction has with resin body and photo etched venturi detail but they are a bit fiddly to put together:
The best model kit versions I have seen so far are from Jo-Han, they are definately not perfect but decent.

agree completely, well said.

I'm not complaining with what Fireball offers, it is excellent. We could use some good drag racing Holleys - both tunnel ram and Dominator carburetors.

Edited by Muncie

On 7/20/2019 at 3:14 AM, Force said:

Great information.

I like the one in the Revell '67 Corvette Coupe but no one responded in "Wanted" to trade. Any other kit besides JoHan, as I had two pairs of those but they are in my built '68 Camaro and '70 Maverick Pro Stocks. Thanks for your reply.