Model Cars Magazine Forum

New build, Consolidated Freightways

• 2 months later...

As I began separating the suspension parts, I realized that there are enough extra parts to build another trailer dolly.

If you build the SD (single axel) version of the Freightliner tractor, you will have the extra four tires required for the dolly.

The pictures shows the suspension parts divided using the trays from storebought cookies.

20191017_113605.jpg

On 10/20/2019 at 10:02 AM, Joe Thomas said:

Cheated and used Gorrilla Tape to hold the cab together.   Hey, it's not like someone's going to drive it.

20191020_100014.jpg

Joe I will be watching your build closely. Have the same kit I will be starting. Will also most likely do it as a CF unit although mine will be a dual drive tractor. Quick question  about using the Gorilla Tape. I figure it would be the black tape ( I know there’s also a clear version). After you sanded the cab meeting seams did you just use the tape on the inside roof then glue the seams or vice versa?

JJ55,

Clear gorilla tape only.  Also used it to attach the nose of the trailer to the sides.

Even used it for the tape on the roll up door, more aggressive adhesive and slightly stronger than adhesive tape.

Are you from or in Jersey? What exit? I am originally from Newark and Jackson.   Moved to NC in May.

Good reference material here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=consolidated+freightways&client=firefox-b-1-m&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4saf_mJzlAhXhT98KHQ-KD4gQ_AUIBygC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=9_SaCVqCad5foM%3A

12 minutes ago, Joe Thomas said:

JJ55,

Clear gorilla tape only.  Also used it to attach the nose of the trailer to the sides.

Even used it for the tape on the roll up door, more aggressive adhesive and slightly stronger than adhesive tape.

Are you from or in Jersey? What exit? I am originally from Newark and Jackson.   Moved to NC in May.

Good reference material here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=consolidated+freightways&client=firefox-b-1-m&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4saf_mJzlAhXhT98KHQ-KD4gQ_AUIBygC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=9_SaCVqCad5foM%3A

Joe thanks. I currently live in Medford just outside Cherry Hill. Moved here about 9 years ago from the Freehold/Howell area. So Exit 5 or 4 of the beautiful New Jersey Tpke.

Cool project. I remember when these things were EVERYWHERE! I have a 1/43 KW I converted to a day cab (with a stubby bumper) and a set of doubles, for it. Most of the major conversion work is done, including the dolly. I look at it, every once in a while, but haven't worked on it in a long time.

Edited by Straightliner59