Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good Clear Coat for Molotow Chrome - Found

Hi guys,

I thought I would share with you, the E7 paints chrome sealer which I have brush painted over Molotow Chrome. See photos below. If you look closely, you can just faintly see a horizontal line (just above my hand) in the photo. The lower half is clear coated with E7 chrome sealer and the top half is not clear coated. I would say it has retained 90% of the reflection. It actually got clearer as it dried. Started out a little milky. The stuff is relatively cheap to buy on ebay, around $8US for 20ml.

Regards

Mike

P90721-090101.jpg

P90721-090132.jpg

Edited by Michael jones

The order arrived today. I had a piece of scrap plastic that had some dried Molotow from starting the pen; a few days ago I brushed some SpazStix Aqua Clear over part of it and today brushed the S-02 on the other part. The S-02 does seem to work a bit better.

On 7/24/2019 at 10:44 PM, SfanGoch said:

You can also get it from USA Gundam Store, in Daytona Beach, for $5.49.

The store's site lists it as currently sold out.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't have it in front of me right now, but pretty sure its water clean up. Probably a good idea to run some isopropyl alcohol through after. Usually I have just painted it on with a brush but I think I may have sprayed it once or twice. Pretty sure its sprays fine around 10-15psi. Let us know what works for you.

Sounds great, but it doesn't seem to be available for purchase anywhere, so...

I am using some stuff called "Intermediate Gauzy Agent" by AK Interactive over Molotow. It's supposed to be a "shine enhancer" over metallics, but let's face it, nothing additional will ever enhance the shine of a good chrome effect paint. But I am looking at it as a good compromise. It takes maybe 10% of the shine away but it seals the chromed parts in such a way so they can be handled properly. And it still looks good IMHO. I used it over the Molotow on ALL the chrome parts on my '62 Corvette.

I sprayed the wings on a Tamiya 312T in Molotow. I really like the finish just would like a sealer that will allow me to handle the parts without ruining the finish.

I saw this thread during a search. I ordered it off of eBay. 
e7 website is as vague as the directions for use. I am sure the paint line works great. But I assumed the sealer was not water based. Just trying to safe and not ruin #1 the parts and #2 my airbrush.

thank you all for the feedback 

Chris