Model Cars Magazine Forum

77- 78 Thunderbird in 1/25th scale. first copy

Hi everyone. Here's the first Thunderbird. Don Holthaus is doing the molding/ casting for me.  I lightly tacked the bumpers and grill in place for photography. The  taillamp, ft. parking lights are done but not pictured. Still have the glass buck to make as well as the interior. Having the hood ornaments done by a well known photo-ecth source as well as pinstripe and seat insert decals. Sorry the photos are a bit blurry I need to go to camera school. No release date or price point yet. Thanks for looking.

DSCF8341.JPG

DSCF8334.JPG

DSCF8335.JPG

DSCF8340.JPG

DSCF8345.JPG

DSCF8342.JPG

DSCF8333.JPG

DSCF8331.JPG

DSCF8232.JPG

And I'm gonna be the lucky dog to be doing the decal sets for this absolute beauty! Full interior and exterior treatment, various seat patterns, chrome trims, dashboard dials, emblems, badges, underhood, the panel stripe and pinstripe factory decals, the whole lot.

Cant wait!

Paul, I take it that the Revell Starsky and Hutch Torino chassis would work with some tweaks for those of us that might want to superdetail this one? They pretty much had the same wheelbase through those years.

Edited by MrObsessive

Bill, the Revell Torino is a bit too large both in length and width. That's why I chose the JoHan 72 Torino as a base. It scaled out perfectly. In reality they should be the same but Revell got the dimensions a bit oversized. I don't have one here in front of me but I'm sure, with work, that chassis could be made to fit.

It looks great and it is also nice to know that Don is still doing some resin casting in his spare time.  ANd the kit will include window "glass" photo-etched bits and decals?  Wow! Too bad you don't offer pre-orders - I'm in for at least one of these beauties.  I would love to get one of the early castings (when the mold is still perfect), but your current eBay auction listing sales system is not very friendly to the potential buyers.

Edited by peteski

On 7/20/2019 at 7:46 PM, echoxrayniner said:

And I'm gonna be the lucky dog to be doing the decal sets for this absolute beauty! Full interior and exterior treatment, various seat patterns, chrome trims, dashboard dials, emblems, badges, underhood, the panel stripe and pinstripe factory decals, the whole lot.

Cant wait!

NJ, how are your decals printed?  Laser or Alps MicroDry printer, silk-screened, or offset printed (or some other method I failed to mention)?

On 7/20/2019 at 8:02 PM, MrObsessive said:

Paul, I take it that the Revell Starsky and Hutch Torino chassis would work with some tweaks for those of us that might want to superdetail this one? They pretty much had the same wheelbase through those years.

The wheel base was 114 inches from 1972 to 1979 for the 2 door anyway. Having said that , I installed a S?H chassis to a Johan and it was tooooooooooo wide.  Had to do a lot of whittling

Looks fantastic!

Now, do a '77 Cougar and you'll have a set. And some money from either my brother or me. Or both. 

I have always preferred the Cougars to the T'birds of this era. Much cleaner and prettier. I also hate hidden headlights.

So how about it?

6 hours ago, Dale Gribble said:

Hard pass ..... I don’t mind paying a premium , but I refuse to get into bidding wars  .... guess it isn’t meant to be ... sucks , cause it sure looks nice ... 

Yup.....

13 hours ago, Dale Gribble said:

Hard pass ..... I don’t mind paying a premium , but I refuse to get into bidding wars  .... guess it isn’t meant to be ... sucks , cause it sure looks nice ... 

At one time I made and sold automotive resin model kits. Before I stopped I had produced 6 kits. I had a price and sold all of them for that price. Making folks enter a bidding war to get one looks like one taking advantage of early demand to get max price.....then settling on a price. Don Holthaus doesn't charge a fluctuating price......or I am pretty sure he doesn't.

Love to have one....when they are sold at a set price.  thx

4 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Supply and demand folks.

Not everything is Walmart.

Steve

With the Modelhaus and most resin casters, their product was/is listed for order on a website (or in a catalog)  at a fixed price, not for auction on eBay.    I have no interest in getting in a bidding war on eBay for a product. 

Edited by Rob Hall

2 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

With the Modelhaus and most resin casters, their product was/is listed for order on a website at a fixed price, not eBay.    I have no interest in getting in a bidding war for a product. 

I understand.

But this is not Modelhaus.

Paul has decided that he is going to produce a limited number of his kits and for obvious reasons he does not want to spend the time, money and effort to put together a website, so he sells them on the most obvious place, ebay.

Granted, he could set a price and sell them all in 18 seconds, or he can put them up for auction and let them go to the highest bidder.

Nothing wrong with that.

This is still America, at least for the time being.

I don't begrudge Paul making whatever profit he can from his labor.

Steve