Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need photos of oversized plug wires

Some builders, especially on the social media pages, have no idea of the level of the hobby as it is today. They are still content with using thread for plug wires, or worse, oversize junk found in electronics, etc. Not to shame them, I just want to show them what "oversized" wiring looks like. 
Have you seen this as well? Do you have photos of that from way back before you advanced? 
I also hope to steer them to pages such as here. 

Facebook modelers drive me nutz so I don't try to help them anymore.  It makes you appreciate the folks on this board!

Worse is guys like this video who people believe because they come off as experts doing videos.  Videos where a guy shows you how to paint all the parts still on the tree by spraying the entire tree with Krylon.   Forget any prep work,  never heard of primer!    And people watch this stuff,  then post questions on Facebook about their failed paint jobs and they don't have a clue why.  They did follow the video!    It's like if you want to build substandard models go do it, but don't teach others how to be as bad as you!

I have to congratulate someone who can wire a V-8 engine with this size wire!

It takes a talented individual to be able to stuff 8 wires of that size into a 1/25th scale distributor!!! :o

Seriously, the wire he used is too large to be used even for heater hose! :D

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

3 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

And people watch this stuff,  then post questions on Facebook about their failed paint jobs and they don't have a clue why.

Unfortunately, it's not limited to just Facebook.

I have run across individuals on the boards who have issues with a particular operations in building and cry for help.

Upon offering them help, they disregard your advice and think that they have had the answer all along.

Then why did you ask for help?

A little off topic I know, but this is the sort of thing that really burns my backside!

Steve

Yeah, he didn't route the wires to the right place and didn't even put in a distributor, if he had the oversized wires wouldn't have room on it anyway. :blink:

Edited by Force

21 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Facebook modelers drive me nutz so I don't try to help them anymore.  It makes you appreciate the folks on this board!

Worse is guys like this video who people believe because they come off as experts doing videos.  Videos where a guy shows you how to paint all the parts still on the tree by spraying the entire tree with Krylon.   Forget any prep work,  never heard of primer!    And people watch this stuff,  then post questions on Facebook about their failed paint jobs and they don't have a clue why.  They did follow the video!    It's like if you want to build substandard models go do it, but don't teach others how to be as bad as you!

Amen Tom,  I have about given up with constructive criticism on FB.   You ether get ripped for being a rotten MFer or told you don’t know what you are talking about.  A no win ether way & I’m just trying to help a fellow modeler improve.

3 hours ago, Oldschool4x4 said:

So, what would you recommend for cloth covered plug wires?    and what dia. do you recommend for 10.5mm plug wires?

I would say either-or. It's more about avoiding obvious oversize in 1/25 scale, than accuracy.  I personally feel that even in early 20th century automobiles, hobby plug wires are fine. I suppose that thread could be used for that era auto, tho I have heard that running thread through wax is the method used back in the early days of model building.

4 hours ago, Can-Con said:

If you think the video is bad, go find it on youtube and read the comments. LOL :o:wacko::rolleyes:

Yeah, it's a little sad to see how many "likes" and positive comments this got!

It's good to see that there are so many people interested in modeling, but quite disheartening to see that a rookie like this is trying to teach them something.

It's a little like taking cooking lessons from Chef Boyardee!! :P

Steve

One FB thread that had me pulling out what little hair I have left was on foil. Clowns were saying that aluminum foil from the dollar store was better than BMF!   And the examples shown were awful.  I responded that BMF was cheap since you can foil several cars with one $8 sheet. A guy responded that he didn’t have money to spend on model cars. I clicked on his profile and he had a nice house, a speed boat and a racing motor cycle... priorities I guess!

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

One FB thread that had me pulling out what little hair I have left was on foil. Clowns were saying that aluminum foil from the dollar store was better than BMF!   And the examples shown were awful.  I responded that BMF was cheap since you can foil several cars with one $8 sheet. A guy responded that he didn’t have money to spend on model cars. I clicked on his profile and he had a nice house, a speed boat and a racing motor cycle... priorities I guess!

If an endeavor is not worth spending a few dollars on to do it right, then you're obviously not that interested in it.

I build possibly 3 to 4 models per year on average.

One sheet of foil will do that number of builds.

If I can''t scrounge up 8 bucks for a sheet of BMF in a years time, ...........well, I'll just go race my motor cycle! :D

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller