Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best Logghe chassis

iBorg

Logghe chassis were molded by several manufacturers. These include AMT (the rather poor one under their Vega/Gremlin and maybe the Funny Hugger 1). MPC with two or three versions, including the stage 1 under the Cougar and a stage 2 under the Judge and others and a third under the very rare Candies and Hughes Cuda. Revell with the hot mess under their Funny Hugger Camaro, Maverick and Mustang. Polar Light with their one size fits most chassis under Mustangs, Cuda and Chargers. Revell with the Chi Town Hustler and finally the Jo-Han chassis included with several funny cars such as their Hornet.

With that list in mind, I'm trying to build an ACCURATE Dyno Don Cougar. I have samples of each of these. I'm curious as to which chassis the collected wisdom has as their choice of best.

Edited by iBorg

8 hours ago, John Pol said:

I would pick the Johan Challenger kit myself to do the cougar

The JoHan Challenger chassis is much later than the Eliminator chassis. Completely different style. 

Which Dyno Don Cougar are you doing, the first or the second? I believe both used 1967 Logghe chassis. The first car was originally the STP Cougar, which was kitted at the time by MPC and has been reissued. The second Cougar was a rebodied Eliminator II '67 Cyclone. Both of these chassis were probably very similar in real life, being built by the same shop in the same year (though they were different colors). I don't know what chassis is in the latest Cougar Eliminator reissue, but if it's the same one in earlier Cougar FC reissues, it'll probably work fine with possibly some modifications to the roll bar. I think I'd just work with it.

The JoHan chassis (Javelin, Olds 4-4-2) are quite nice, but it might be a challenge finding one that fits the Cougar body's wheelbase. 

I'll be following your project, as I'm planning to do one of these cars myself sometime. I'm probably gonna do the second one, and fit the chassis out to take both Cougar and Cyclone bodies. 

13 hours ago, iBorg said:

Polar Light with their one size fits most chassis under Mustangs, Cuda and Chargers.

I've never built or even worked on one of those, but I just looked at some of them online and it looks like that would be a suitable starting point too. 

The one shown on the side of the box is the most accurate, but that's not the one inside the box. Inside is a stage I Logghe but Dyno was running a Stage II in late '67 and '68. The later MPC Stage II Logghe is correct but pricy and hard to find. The Polar Lights chassis in their Mustang FC kit is close. 

MPC Cougar FC.JPG

Don Nicholson 1968 Cougar FC.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, magicmustang said:

The one shown on the side of the box is the most accurate, but that's not the one inside the box. Inside is a stage I Logghe but Dyno was running a Stage II in late '67 and '68. The later MPC Stage II Logghe is correct but pricy and hard to find. The Polar Lights chassis in their Mustang FC kit is close. 

MPC Cougar FC.JPG

Don Nicholson 1968 Cougar FC.jpg

My old built MPC kit from the 70's with the correct Logghe chassis.

Built Dyno Don '68 Cougar FC.JPG

Edited by magicmustang
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, magicmustang said:

Can you explain the differences between the Stage I and Stage II chassis?

Edited by afx

4 minutes ago, afx said:

Can you explain the differences between the Stage I and Stage II chassis?

The stage II has a different roll cage shape (thinner?), floorboard tin (footwells?) and the frame goes straight back from the rear axle mount verses curved down on the stage I. 

MPC Cougar FC.JPG

stage I.jpg

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The JoHan chassis (Javelin, Olds 4-4-2) are quite nice, but it might be a challenge finding one that fits the Cougar body's wheelbase. 

I'll be following your project, as I'm planning to do one of these cars myself sometime. I'm probably gonna do the second one, and fit the chassis out to take both Cougar and Cyclone bodies. 

Now theres an idea I never thought about. Ive been wanting to build his Comet flopper using one of my extra AMT Comet kits . Might have to build one chassis and switch bodies from time to time

Thanks for the wisdom. So to summarize, the chassis in the MPC Cougar and Judge (since they're both obtainable) are Stage 1's. The PL chassis is a Stage 2 and the Revell Hawaiian is a Stage 3. A bit of reference:

224af100139eacc.jpg

224af1001333403.jpg

224af100140ea1d.jpg

• Like 1

I'd agree. The roll cage is different although Logghe had three or four designs. The first Eliminator 1 had a roll cage that looked like an upright altered. The Eliminator II had a more full cage.

On 7/23/2019 at 11:25 AM, Chris in Berwyn said:

Just FWIW the AMT Gas Ronda funny car has a Logghe chassis.  Is it just a long version of the short Vega, Pinto, etc.chassis?

AMT Longnose Mustang.PNG

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

Interesting discussion on Logghe chassis. 

May be hard to find, but the Johan funny car chassis for the 64 Dodge has about the same wheelbase.  You would have to narrow the interior "tin" to fit, but looks doable.

DSCF4084m.thumb.JPG.b3d2874ec674f2aae8386d3a47642e5a.JPG

DSCF4079m.thumb.JPG.18704500b1912efe29b33353ada66d90.JPG

• Like 1

Also, the MPC Super Hemi funny car (Dodge GTX?) has a Logghe stage II chassis and also has about the same wheelbase.  Again, hard to find nowadays.  I did a quick mock up, the "tin" would again have to be narrowed.DSCF4087m.thumb.JPG.48a816fb414aa6c3ff24c7e6b2ffc6b6.JPG

DSCF4089.thumb.JPG.68f462f6902e967eccda445c2b77976f.JPG

One more comparison.  Here are the Polar Lights, Johan, and MPC chassis with the location where the cross member for the rear suspension attaches lined up with the left edge of the scale.  Johan frames also had a version that had longer tubes at the rear with tabs below for the body hinge.

Edited by mvadrag
More info.
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'm no expert but it appears to me based on these photos that the different Stages are identifiable by the side rails and of course the roll cage.

• Stage I - shallow, parallel top/bottom rail, narrow width chassis

224af100140ea1d.jpg

• Stage II - deeper, non-parallel top/bottom rail, wider chassis, long front radius rods

224af100139eacc.jpg

• Stage III - same (similar) rails as Stage II, short front radius rods

224af1001333403.jpg

• Like 1