Model Cars Magazine Forum

strengthen / clean-up scratch-built parts...ideas?

I have a pair of front tubular spindles I recently built out of Evergreen. I used small wires within the tubes at joints and used Super Glue to assemble the parts. Once everything was dry, I used a small amount (toothpicked in) additional Super Glue on top of the joints to fill in any small gaps and hopefully provide additional strength.

I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions, on something better? thoughts on another product that would leave a smoother surface and add rigidity? Has anyone worked with thinning down any epoxy glues?

What you did sounds good to me. The CA should result in smooth fillets.  You didn't specify what you used as "small wires". It could be soft copper wire, thin bras rod or steel music wire. The latter would be the strongest. If you really want strength you could build everything out of brass and silver solder parts together.

I make a lot of small suspension parts like spindles, etc. Scratch-built parts made from styrene are generally stronger if assembled with a liquid solvent-type cement. Use enough to get a good bond, and let it dry well. When thoroughly dry, the joins can be reinforced with small fillets of a gel CA. The fillets can be sanded smooth with a nice inside radius.

Be careful painting things assembled with CA. One solvent in some paint, acetone, will break down CA joints, and your assemblies may fall apart.

I always use rod instead of tubing. I either fishmouth the rod at the joints or drill a recess the same diameter to slightly insert the rod (depends on what I'm making). Then hit it with Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. Makes a nice strong joint. No gaps to fill 90% of the time. When there is a gap, I fill with crazy glue like you.

Thanks guys, from all your input it sounds like I'm on the right the right path.
I'm using solid wire (sm. paper clip wire) and do use liquid glue for the initial assembly, let it dry (at least overnight). Then after some clean-up work I use Super Glue, but I'm going to give the gel a shot.

Interesting point about the paint being a potential issue to soften things up (didn't think about that). I'll have to make sure I only paint these parts w/ water based paint only (as a precaution).

Again - thanks!