Model Cars Magazine Forum

11 hours ago, 2 Tall Paul said:

Peter,  Thanks for posting the salts, I needed the inspiration.  I am at the early stage on a early Corvette, lots of white putty and sanding.  Was thinking of putting it away, but now will continue.

FullSizeRender(27).jpg

Great, this looks interesting........ sometimes it just takes a good kick in the butt to get things moving again.  It happens to just about all of us, and when the inspiration comes along don't hesitate to move on it.  This is the best thing about plastic, if you make a mistake, you can correct it fairly easily so you can be fearless.  Other mistakes in life, all too often, are not as easy to fix.  Just go, head down and forward.

I have the initial openings on the body done..... they still need a clean up, but you can see the intent I have of how this will be shown.  The front cockpit area will hinge forward to allow access to it, and the main body will lift off to gain engine and area accessVyIKa9l5thowbwmEwMIowcsbGaT60Yur4hproL5fLooks a bit like a pickup truck here.  Here you can see the top part of the firewall uBDjQxq2UlcQZuEUTDBh5p-E899IfZv1Zvh2aJwSFrom the front, you can see the back wall of the cockpit.  There is a buffer between the two walls, as I think in a real salt flat vehicle that would be desirable qtazx9NeV3joEoo166BH0IeZeKLxWXkThr08gvXWYou can see that many of the edges are still rough, but they will be cleaned up and all the fit will be sorted out since there are a few gaps and misfits. wYp4GEyZumg00UZ71nc4WWMX31F6iBAS-sEc_VwJAnd here with the panels roughly back in place.iSrHRMTCkYsjer5_MNbcK_aBwV4tsyMC2Aq8Gv-Lespecially on the cockpit cover you can see the fit issues that will be fixed   I have begun work on the chassis too, so that will get most of my attention next.

I have done some more work on the fender vents, shown here and have the pins in to secure the engine bay cover.  Next I have begun work on the front suspension "A" arms top and bottom.  7taGQy_2CUFQCCHFOGZHhbtXxp1bPd5_FmZF3MWWNot that you will be able to see the front parts, but the back will be visible, once complete, the front and rear suspensions will have working springs and shocks.KWqRWQw8Q9kAZC7hKa9GjE0G3s0W4-C64QLpbJhnI still have a bit more clean up to do on them but you get the idea. 6XcrL2lDOOCVp9dnE50EvNWHDFm3iNLfxbwN4rHip_8t4rxPeOLSQ85ND_pl9iJn4hpQxKv0nkEh_NuI76kx_KrY2LEwi5UGuu7sH5-CzdXLM6PD00R6vt0tPZ7D2dgH7AmqY0LBEilpFraajcUrrmSEzQB-uHqE

Edited by Peter Lombardo
correct picture posting

On 8/9/2019 at 7:52 AM, Peter Lombardo said:

Great, this looks interesting........ sometimes it just takes a good kick in the butt to get things moving again.  It happens to just about all of us, and when the inspiration comes along don't hesitate to move on it.  This is the best thing about plastic, if you make a mistake, you can correct it fairly easily so you can be fearless.  Other mistakes in life, all too often, are not as easy to fix.  Just go, head down and forward.

I'm planning on doing my '60 salt style. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here is my first dilemma with this build.  The Allison engine, if I kept it the original configuration with the single supercharger and carburetors will fit fine in the body I designed, but no, I can't leave the engine as it came, no, I need to complicate this.  This engine is widely used in the unlimited hydroplane world, but those guys update the engine to produce more power, and that is what I want for this car.  So first I removed the supercharger.  Then I added direct fuel injection.  Next I am adding twin turbo chargers with inter-coolers (if they will fit).  Because of the massive fuel injection system, the engine is much higher at the back of it so it will not fit the body as it is now.   It appears that I will have to seriously modify the engine cover to accommodate the added height of the engine intake system.   q3lxWugj2I6yzMPoDUFuhmhagBMlZxmWlOoeKbP7  NynRVQLuwChanZb9CZGm_rLmFfy8RFKVe8Vyd95F PYJfnxi3oIwe2J-boUd7BWgdNJfa08mnjhvAyXgQ  lk-UcsUegmzK69X_gX2Us2nCopGc9Xl_jN6N9-5MKjeSZaFltnU4zZXcmXj45zeoqbMXpHv7MgrTgr-GGyZ9CDego1oFHKh2dka3CPFbo8JWgvgZsFHWViGx

Hi!

Couldn't you fabricate longer tube intakes oriented sideways? Just picture typical dragster "zoomies" upswept headers... but turned upside down to arc over the valve covers and point downward. At which point you could fabricate a lenghtwise "tube" to distribute air to all of them. That would locate your turbo-charger unit about the same level as the exhaust ports, therefore increasing the "efficiency" of your turbo set-up... It looks like the avail space between the valve covers and the side wall of your body shell could accomodate that. Just an idea... Of course, you  might have to modify the angle of the actual header flanges on the zoomies, but nothing out of your range, based on what I saw of your previous builts...

If "standard" zoomies don't do because of canopy interference... the convoluted headers that came in AMT's 53 Studebaker coupe might fit...

For what it's worth, respectfully. 

CT

• 2 weeks later...

I have made some headway on the car.  Because of the fuel injection that I added to the Allison creates a much higher height requirement, the design of the rear cowling was too low to cover the power-plant.  So the choice was to not use the Allison as I have reconfigured it, or modify the cowling.  I opted for the latter and made the modifications to the body.  I really like the look of the Allison with the fuel injection and turbos, so body modifications were the direction I went.AQWKHvgHuVtEjdOzBjfVD2TZ6-kr_TZFFhgf1xw23fcH7TTFKMUg7vI2FtlyEmlq5CGooo7rQplzHt8WYou can see that I have two air intake openings on the cowling which I want to preserve as the breather intake openings that would feed the turbo's.  So because of that, I needed to include an opening setup on the revised cowling to accomplish that.  Here you can "kind of" see them...... it is a little difficult to see.MufJ5Hn_hGspQkFg97W4BM-jmqvqErMSEI90T1pJAlong with the revised cowling, I have added an air-dam skirt around the bottom of the car.  The idea is to control the down force much the same as F1 cars back in the 70's and 80's did until it was outlawed.  Certainly would not want this car becoming air-born at top speed.3ZKVcJ2y1QOKyalk2ie01idWVb2QeOmspQLoDn5JHere it is from the back.  There is going to be twin parachutes in the center of the back end, and a rear spoiler to the aft end of the rear at rear deck height. yKmTn347bk8sgC9-zkWeOSzKRXfAVhWs234d1nAl Here it is with the cockpit cover in place which will hinge at the back side of ite1UEAI0OE4qTs6c2OJ2SEuRunfC4zMt99qPdiTq9And with the engine in placegH0MEG-R6XKrXEfZ4_-HbUp5w0Mqjtni-bErtu0XThe car needs a lot attention to sanding and clean-up, especially on the wheel louvers and the cowling fit  I will begin the suspension and cockpit next.  This build will take time as I am waiting for the turbos to arrive so I can complete the engine plumbing and wiring. pa6SIcDsItkZtisG3adELVPr2GnNuWo7cnnbJKcH It's all just a fantasy for me. 

Yeah Barry, I looked it all up on the website to verify the different classes and the engine requirements. 

7 minutes ago, Nitrobarry said:

Watching this one with much interest! As a side note, those building salt flats/dry lakes cars might want to consider purchasing a SCTA rule book. It has tons of info on different classes and of course, rules. Starting on a VGC (viintage gas coupe) myself.

Usually, I have a pretty good idea of what I want my next build to look like.  It is a rare occasion when I find a build changing every time I sit down at the workbench.  Well, this is one of those builds.  From the very beginning, I have been wandering down a dark hallway.  The original design of the body was done 10 or so years ago, and I never knew exactly what I would do with it.  It is kind of a mix of futuristic meets Group C race car.  Then a few months ago while cleaning up all of the junk I have accumulated in my work room, I stumbled on the clay master and got to thinking about it.  The idea hit me to make a Bonneville Salt Flat racer out of it since I have been thinking of doing the same with an extra body I have of an early version of the Timbs special.

Well, I you see where I have gone with this so far, but now I have a new obstetrical to clear, and once again the body engine cover is proving to be a stumbling block to clear.

The engine with its tall fuel injection unit required I raise the height of the cover..... okay, done.  Then I began work on the frame and roll bar configuration and ran into more height issues.1lo7IZdP25y-1aYJXe0e31vjFd_IiBWVLyZZyV44

Once again the engine cover required a new round of surgeries and enlargements.   Please pardon the few "hairs" on the chassis, they have been eradicated since the photo.3AsVTACYAsFmDrRQidsn05Gb2s-GBVo16uEyKU9T KJv6fujUWIXxjLgiNyYHVZiI8VY2p-eCAUlc0dsENot only will I need to clear the roll bar and fuel injection, I will need to clear the radiators which this car would need to cool down this massive engine.  In desperation to come up with a solution, I looked to one of the Art Deco bodies I designed many years ago thinking the soft rounded shapes of the fenders could form the basis of the air vents so I cut the body up and grafted on sections of the rear fenders to the cowling.  Since taking these pictures, I have added a section from the front fender to the leading edge to bring the scoop closer to the front of the body.  It is currently covered in putty and will get sanded smooth once fully dry.6Cf-5o3C6Axuxiw5POHNWnXFt6lp_bGE45Y9Hwq-

Like I said, this car is being built by the seat of my pants with "field" changes happening daily.  My only concern is that with such a mish-mush of changes and components, I am struggling to keep any kind of uniformity in the finished car.    j6jGcX1FUN84xa1sLhETkRLYFIAa86jM9Kwt7JaOC44AJg0jp-UXfMqJ8j2hZnd47vFDflmIXS7_9CzZ

• 3 months later...