Model Cars Magazine Forum

Eleanor from the original Gone In 60 Seconds

Merkur XR4Ti

From the MPC kit with a resin hood from Motor City Casters. Because this old MPC kit isn't that detailed, and for better fit, I built this as a curbside and glued the hood shut. Tamiya Chrome Yellow and Black. I used the '71 Mustang kit; the grille insert is a '73 that's included in the '71 kit.

eleanor.jpg

Edited by Merkur XR4Ti

The ONLY Eleanor in my book!!!! Nice work....on my build list too. Only suggestion is base model wheels. Modelhaus made them...but don't know of anyone making them now.

Any more pics??

PS the flat hood is also in the old JoHan funny car kit.

Oh geez! My typo ran afoul of the sensors! LOL! I'll fix that.

Yes, I didn't have base wheels available to me and in the interest of actually getting this thing done I went with the kit wheels. If I encounter the proper wheels I will swap them out. Technically the tires should be white-lettered as well, but as I didn't have any white acrylic on hand I went without as well. I also need to add the proper license plates.

Building an old MPC kit with it's 'close enough' fit issues was quite a shock after years of building more modern kits.

Edited by Merkur XR4Ti

Came out nice!  That was the best Eleanor, but I’m partial to Mustangs anyway.If you decide to swap the wheels, you could also use White wall tires which were on the second Eleanor he stole at the car wash. Here’s my smashed up version that I did some years back. Great job!

97D69781-016D-42D9-B058-D4593FC122A2.jpeg

CB8CC0E8-B844-438E-B04F-F3A93B5BAB66.jpeg

1 hour ago, dragmodels44 said:

Came out nice!  That was the best Eleanor, but I’m partial to Mustangs anyway.If you decide to swap the wheels, you could also use White wall tires which were on the second Eleanor he stole at the car wash. Here’s my smashed up version that I did some years back. Great job!

I saw that car back in the day when HB was dragging it across the country to promote the film. On a open small trailer I had to go up and touch it. Forward to the year 2015 and the same car is in the Peterson......my buddy had to keep a guard busy so I could touch it again!!! Nice BTW 

Edited by Dave Van

16 hours ago, dragmodels44 said:

97D69781-016D-42D9-B058-D4593FC122A2.jpeg

Love it! Is that lettering done by hand or a decal? It looks great! I love this movie so much, I’ve got a 73 Mustang ready to go!

ps. this is on my wall ?

CD984532-529F-45A6-BF55-96C899B903A9.jpeg

16 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Here you go:

eleanor.jpg.826335e736dbf39d43bcb2e7454c028d.jpg

Thank you! Awesome. I'll get those on her this weekend.

And I just found a resin set of the correct wheels on ebay done by missing link, so I'll be adding those to her too.

Edited by Merkur XR4Ti

On 26/07/2019 at 11:05 PM, Merkur XR4Ti said:

Thank you! Awesome. I'll get those on her this weekend.

And I just found a resin set of the correct wheels on ebay done by missing link, so I'll be adding those to her too.

Any chance of a link to those resin wheels? I need a set for mine!

• 2 weeks later...