Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '32 Chrysler - beach racer

Jantrix

When a friend offered me the kit, I instantly knew what I was going to do with it. Online, I can NOT find a '32 Chrysler roadster that is in any condition other than concours stock. So therefore I must do something to remedy that.

A beach racer is something I've wanted to add to my collection, in any case.

The plan- hop up the engine a bit, lose the fenders. That's about it. I may lower the nose just a mil or two.

When I started the engine, a flaw that was immediatly noticable is the exhaust pipe on the intake instead of the manifold. Although hard to notice when the parts are on the engine, I had to fix it. So far the block is assembled and primered and prep has started for the chassis parts. The trickiest part will be cutting up the fenders, to remove the flooring. I've modified the intake for a three carbs. Hope you like. More soon.

As always, comments and criticisms are kindly welcome.

48372581701_6b3368341a_z.jpg

48372711507_824362f410_z.jpg

48372711542_2e7a132def_z.jpg

48372582001_e830a35dd5_z.jpg

Well, I know of at least one out there  that's not factory stock.

I was at a Mopar show in Ocala Florida several years back and what pulls in the lot of our hotel. But a really nice looking early 30s Imperial. Memory tells me it was a 32 but i may be off by a year or 2 .

Best I remember I think it was a dark red body with a really dark red ,,( ok maybe black ) fenders.

Under the hood was a completely stock 426 hemi, auto, and A/C. If you didn't hear it run or happen to see it with the hood opened up. You would never have guess it was anything but oem factory stock. Right down to the wire wheels and wide whitewall tires . It was that cool.

Some chassis changes. I've removed the bumper brackets and added push bar in the back and a spreader bar in the front. I have decided not to do any sort of channeling here. I want the hinged rumble seat to be functional. As for colors, I'm kicking around a gloss gray for the body and the wheels will match the engine color or be black. No white walls and in a somewhat controversial move, I have stripped the chrome from the enormous grill and it will be body color with chrome inserts. The grill usually mounts to the fender unit, so I'll have to get creative on how to mount it with no fenders.

48471432162_1c285920a2_z.jpg

48471433292_29688d3dbb_z.jpg

48471464087_e6bc8a7f32_z.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

12 hours ago, 2 Tall Paul said:

Great idea, I have been considering doing a beach racer from spare bodies and parts, keep up the good work!

Paul

28 minutes ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Rob-

This looks like an interesting project. Put the fender aprons back on it. My $.02 and worth both pennies..... -RRR

Thanks guys. Rod, the aprons did not survive the fender removal which is a real miscalculation on my part. I thought of it only after the damage was done.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I should leave the floor below the body like this photo or bring it up inside the body which seems like it would be the right way, but I'd have to separate the cover over the back of the gas tank.

48467252032_c85c5f255e_z.jpg

26 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

You might consider moving the gas tank into that huge trunk space.

Tom, I've considered that, but the rear mount on the leaf springs are quite far back. They will be out past the body, so the gas tank cover was to also hide that.

BTW folks, I do appreciate advice on this sort of thing so feel free to chime in with ideas.

48471433292_29688d3dbb_z.jpg48471464087_e6bc8a7f32_z.jpg

On 05/08/2019 at 6:28 PM, Jantrix said:

I've moved on to losing the fenders. The head is problematic when it comes to wiring the distributor.

48467094631_f1dc8fe2da_z.jpg

48467247062_a9dbd6caf4_z.jpg

48467252032_c85c5f255e_z.jpg

48467097351_36b3ac286e_z.jpg

Hi!

Nice concept, will be unique. I recently used that engine on a rat rot. The wiring of distributor & spark plugs was not so hard to do. I used plug "booths" on the existing "studs" instead of drilling them. Much easier. 

Good luck!

CT

DSC00304 (2).JPG