Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '32 Chrysler - beach racer

Jantrix

• 5 months later...
On 8/9/2019 at 6:34 AM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Rob-

This looks like an interesting project. Put the fender aprons back on it. My $.02 and worth both pennies..... -RRR

Good news. I have finally obtained a new set of fenders and this will be returning to bench this weekend. This time I'll be taking ol' Rodneys sound advice. More soon. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. The hobby room is reassembled. New lighting and FINALLY, the spray booth is vented and ready to go. 

So first things first. The plan this time is to trim away the fenders only, leaving the sheet metal that rests on top of the frame rails in front, the side aprons and rear fenderwells. This will give it a fenders removed look, while keeping the body and hood at the same level, keeping the stock grill mounting location, gas tank cover, and minimal scratch building. It's gonna be delicate work though. Also thinking about removing the hood side vents and replacing them with mesh from behind. More soon. Thanks for checking in.

49533850283_e4b68fced4_c.jpg

49533837873_4c159ea43d_c.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

This is the last unpainted mock up. I'm going to start removing the hood louvers. It seems that loosing excess weight would be a good thing for a beach racer, so off they will go. I may throw a piece of mesh behind them. Not sure yet. I will be including headlights. I have seen clips from the TRoG, of folks removing headlights in the local parking lots at the race location, so that's my thought process there. Painting has finally begun. Black chassis, interior and wheels will be a burgundy and the body will be a gloss grey. One thing I just do not like about this body is the cowl, or lack there-of. It's extremely limiting on my choices for the windshield. I'm leaning on just cutting down the stock piece and adding two arced windscreens.

49572116351_c6284990ce_c.jpg.14f8869913d85ff119e17b486ead93dc.jpg

12 hours ago, Jantrix said:

This is the last unpainted mock up. I'm going to start removing the hood louvers. It seems that loosing excess weight would be a good thing for a beach racer, so off they will go. I may throw a piece of mesh behind them. Not sure yet. I will be including headlights. I have seen clips from the TRoG, of folks removing headlights in the local parking lots at the race location, so that's my thought process there. Painting has finally begun. Black chassis, interior and wheels will be a burgundy and the body will be a gloss grey. One thing I just do not like about this body is the cowl, or lack there-of. It's extremely limiting on my choices for the windshield. I'm leaning on just cutting down the stock piece and adding two arced windscreens.

49572116351_c6284990ce_c.jpg.14f8869913d85ff119e17b486ead93dc.jpg

The two arched windscreens side by side is sometimes called  Brooklands style. Google that name and you'll surely see several examples. 

10 hours ago, misterNNL said:

The two arched windscreens side by side is sometimes called  Brooklands style. Google that name and you'll surely see several examples. 

Tom, thanks very much. I will likely be doing something like that.

9 hours ago, slusher said:

Rob, been following your project. Your builds capture my interest. Are you using wire wheels or discs?

Carl, at this time my plan is to use the stock wheels/tires, which are painted wires, BUT should a set of period Rolls style wheels happen my way, I'll likely go with that as it will also give the roadster a bit of salt flat street cred. ?

3 hours ago, David G. said:

Good progress!

Nice work area too.

Thanks David. It's taken two years to get it sorted.

• 7 months later...

Rob, just grab a paint brush handle, place it above your leads, aligned with the  head, and push down on your plug leads.  It will give you a nice uniform drape to the leads in seconds and it looks like there is enough excess to let them droop a little.  Certainly enough to get rid of the spiders legs!

Like your project - TRoG is cool!

Cheers

Alan

I like the idea of rodding this Chrysler.

I've thought about doing one, but just couldn't get past the length of it for a hot rod.

Looking at it now, I think I would section out the area behind the front doors to the rear fenders. And create a more sporty "long hood, short deck" look to it.

Might have to find one of these kits to try this out on.

8 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I like the idea of rodding this Chrysler.

I've thought about doing one, but just couldn't get past the length of it for a hot rod.

I quite agree. That's why a beach racer made more sense to me than a hot rod. Some minor engine tweaks and then remove as much weight from the bodywork you can. Get in, go like heII.

John, Carl thanks. Gonna be a slate grey with door numbers.