Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is the magazine getting back on track?

Is the mag getting back on track at last?  Heard that the editor CEO got over from Hawaii to the last GSL in Salt Lake City promoting it. Also heard that lifetime subscriptions were on offer? Not been subscribing for a while, so would like some feedback about current activity.

Yes, Gregg was at the GSL selling lifetime subscriptions, trying to raise cash for printing of the mag. His goal of 200 subscriptions was met in June and based on his post in May, once he had raised the money he would have several issues ready to print and we should see a marked improvement in future delivery of the magazine.

It has been several months since all of this started and other than a comment from Gregg that he has reached his goal of securing financial backing to print the magazine, there has been no comments or updates. 

I will leave the rest up to Gregg to fill in on where he's at with the magazine and getting it published and distributed. 

Come to think of it, I haven't seen MCM on the stands for a good bit. Been cruising here a bit (more like ghosting, but hey) and saw where Gregg was all up on the Lifetime Sub deal being able to get MCM back on the shelves. So, been checkin' the local paper-pushers and still nothin'. 

Besides the usual gas; anything of any substance going on with the rag?  I kinda miss it's counterpoint to SA..........

Edited by MarvinGardens

That's the crazy thing I see, Mike. Gregg pops on to tout the next way to get the mag back on the shelves and then vanishes. Seems kinda odd.

Heard he was at GSL. I'd thing the expenditure of getting to/from and staying at GSL would've been better utilized for our hobby by gettin' the mag on the shelves. Lots of us been waitin' forever for the next installment and are bein' left with empty hands......

Just wonderin' when this here forum might just 'POOF' into non-existence one day..........it'd be bad for the hobby for sure.

4 hours ago, MarvinGardens said:

That's the crazy thing I see, Mike. Gregg pops on to tout the next way to get the mag back on the shelves and then vanishes. Seems kinda odd.

Heard he was at GSL. I'd thing the expenditure of getting to/from and staying at GSL would've been better utilized for our hobby by gettin' the mag on the shelves. Lots of us been waitin' forever for the next installment and are bein' left with empty hands......

Just wonderin' when this here forum might just 'POOF' into non-existence one day..........it'd be bad for the hobby for sure.

we can hope the extended silence means he is hard at work getting those magazine issues printed as he stated a couple of months ago. I know printing the magazine is not the same as making copies down at Office Depot, but the way Gregg made it sound he had a couple done and just needed to print them and it would be soon.

Again, until Gregg stops in and updates us, all we can do is wait and wonder.

26 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Looks like it is still 'Watch This Space" as far as the magazine is concerned. Will be interested to see any new developments if any.

Yup! In the meantime, what's your thoughts on Coca Cola kits? LOL!

Stopped by my local paper-pusher today and asked about the rag. I know the guys behind the counter pretty well as I buy a bit in the store, and we brought up the hobby related magazines. One of the guys is also a hobbyist, and the subject of model magazines was talked about.

Funny thing about that conversation: store purchasing agent told me that even if Gregg does ever get the rag up and running again, they won't carry it as they won't tolerate a willy-nilly/hit-miss publishing schedule. They have a business to run and an unreliable vendor won't make them any money. 

Hate to say it, but Gregg wantin' to be a 'somebody' in the hobby instead of actually investing in the hobby has pretty much turned him and the mag into the joke of the hobby. Sad really; taking peoples money and not returning a product..................wonder when the forum will come crashing down. No hating, just some cold, hard observations from MONTHS of waiting...............

Got some signs of life (as of 13 hours ago, anyway), Mike.

Da' Big Man himself, after not bein' on the forum since June 15th; came on last night to announce the latest standings on his personal life, and why the rag has yet to make it to print. The list of reasons is long and distinguished (and has been every time someone has asked about the rag), but the basic rundown is: Back surgery fail (yet he is able to sustain a 7hr flight each way to/from Hawaii to Salt Lake City), dementia-ridden in-laws for which he provides care (I'm pretty sure that hasn't been a recent development), and some other small issues. 

Now, before anyone goes and takes everything I type all wrong, and before his supporters dogpile this into lock; take a REAL look back at all the times nothing but excuses and "I won't give up" have been uttered with no actual physical developments happenin'. This is not one guy startin' trouble (me), this is some hard-core and honest examination happenin'. Look at the money bein' collected with no sign of tangible return. When does even the staunchest of supporter start scratchin' their head in wonder?

I loved the rag and news-stand purchased every issue (as that's also supportin' the folks who make the brick'n'morter gatherin' spots happen). My concern is for the well-bein' of this magazine and what it represents to the hobby. Enough politicin' and get the rag out on the racks for Christs-sake!

The below is DIRECTLY COPIED FROM GREGGS post 13hrs ago:

have contemplated posting this before, but I think you guys need to see what the whole situation is here at home.

The long/short story is, this 8th back surgery in February has been a failure.
Plus, for the past year and a half, I've been the full time adult day care provider for my wife's 87-year-old parents (both of them), with dementia, and other health issues.
She does the night shift, and by the time she get's home, I'm literally dead to the world.
We have now gotten some daytime hospice care for them, so it frees me up some during the day.

I know, hospice, that's a bad sign, but actually, it's the term the providers use so that they can provide the care they need before they really go downhill.

If any of you have done this, day care for your parents, you know what it's like. Doing this for both of her parents, well, let's just say there are days that well, just suck.

Still finishing up Contest Issue, #206. I know I may get a lot of negatives on the lateness of some of the shows, some are from 2017, but it's been passed around, and we think that with all the effort that went into covering the shows, we should include them. I will try and work on another Contest Issue as soon as I get up to speed.

Thanks again for all of your patience, and support, and not giving up on me, or the magazine.

I'm not going to give up.

I have way too much invested in this to give up, and I don't quit.

Gregg Hutchings
Editor
GateKeeper
da Big Kahuna
Model Cars Magazine

Edited by MarvinGardens
cleaned up some loose ends......

Tom,

I'd like to thank ya' for your concern as to my real name. Pretty sure my full name and birthday are listed, per Greggs rules, in my profile! So it appears you and I share somethin' in common, our screen name pretty much is our real name!!  Model on and be happy, Tom.

I can appreciate your vigor, Tom, but resortin' to a personal attack (such as questioning my name when it is in my profile) is a known way to get a thread locked. Nice to see a typical tactic bein' employed.... waitin' for the rest to pig-pile in.

Oh, and if a spade is a spade, might wanna' see it for what it is. Any other concerns can be taken to PM, Tom, as it don't need to be muddin' up a perfectly useful thread calling for a perfectly good reasoning for the rag STILL not bein' on track (even though Gregg himself stated funds are now available (through the sale of lifetime subs) and that he had several issues already in the pipe!).

Edited by MarvinGardens
Cleanin' up some thoughts

53 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Hey Mr MarvinGardens, real easy to poke the bear while using a fake name!

Forum rules state you can have a screen name but must also share your real name.  

Gregg posted that and closed the thread just for this reason! 

I don't believe it is "to poke the bear" at all, but more to show the irritation that he (and I'm sure many others that don't have the guts to say it) has hearing nothing but excuse after excuse of why the magazine ISN'T out! Sure, everyone has personal issues, but the magazine is a BUSINESS and regardless of personal issues should be ran as such but it seems that the same that are willing to just go years without seeing an issue of the magazine would be the same ones to attack a resin caster that has had health or personal issues because they didn't get their XYZ roadster body delivered to their door hours after ordering it! 

Even though I don't run a business whether it be a magazine, resin casting, or anything else, I DO have health problems that interfere with my everyday life, the biggest of which is a rotator cuff tear in my right shoulder that after two unsuccessful surgeries has left my right hand and arm basically useless and constant pain that I endure because of the injury and no type of pain medications to help ease it, I still take care of the obligations that I need to meet. I think at this time if the magazine is being held up by personal issues, which has been a reoccurring theme for at least a decade, it might just be time for something to happen so the personal side doesn't interfere with the business side simply give the long time non subscribing readers like myself a chance to purchase the magazine again and those that have subscriptions the product that they have paid for!     

Once again Gregg has had some real life issues, like many of us do, and that is the explanation as to why we are still waiting on the magazine. 

My thought on it is this: If the struggle to balance life and getting the magazine out is overwhelming, why not ask for help in getting the magazine to print and let the magazine get back on track?

As has been stated, it's been a long time since we saw an issue and looks to be more of a wait to the next one. 

George was looking through the local home improvement store finding stuff for a project.   He bumped into his neighbor John.  After exchanging pleasantries, George asked John, "Say, do you have that $206 I loaned you a year ago?"  John replied, "No, I don't have it right now but I will get it to you, I would rather owe you than beat you out of it."

I would suggest EVERYONE go back and read the forum rules, especially the section about trolls/trolling. We have allowed members to voice their opinions about this forum, the magazine and Gregg, but it is starting to get out of hand. If you do not wish to risk warning points/banishment, I would be careful what you continue to post.

I’ve got to agree with Tom and Michael. I hate the way many “just state facts” that are often a jab. Many of us know the facts. And if he was at GSL, so what? The man deserves to get out and do something that he wanted, perhaps a nice escape. 

Gregg lets us be here and enjoy the forum at no expense to us. Be chill to one another. The amount of rude behavior has been increasing here and not just towards Gregg. To others as well. It makes this hobby a stressful one when new drama is created every day. 

If this is overstepping, please remove it. But as a young modeler, this is not what this hobby is about. 

1 hour ago, Rusty92 said:

I’ve got to agree with Tom and Michael. I hate the way many “just state facts” that are often a jab. Many of us know the facts. And if he was at GSL, so what? The man deserves to get out and do something that he wanted, perhaps a nice escape. 

Gregg lets us be here and enjoy the forum at no expense to us. Be chill to one another. The amount of rude behavior has been increasing here and not just towards Gregg. To others as well. It makes this hobby a stressful one when new drama is created every day. 

If this is overstepping, please remove it. But as a young modeler, this is not what this hobby is about. 

Amen!  

• Xingu locked this topic

As an update on this, no, did not get close to 200 Lifetime subs.

The trip to GSL cost me a grand total of $45.96.

$13.50 for airfare (I am a lifelong Delta man, and used my miles from years ago), room was free (thank you to a friend), and dinner the Saturday night.

Yes, I was there for 26 hours, and then three days at home on the floor.I came close to running out of pain meds, and that was not fun.

It killed me, but it was worth it.

Hope this settles some of the nay-sayers.