Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Firebird "Smokey and the Bandit" Trans Am.

Dragonhawk1066

Painted with Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black and cleared with Tamiya TS-13 Clear. Interior is done with Rustoleum Satin Canyon Black, and chassis is Rustoleum Flat Black Primer. Used various craft paints and Testors bottle paints for the details. I was a little worried about the kit decals, but even though they were tricky to apply they don't look too bad. Gauge decals are included for a nice detailed look to the dash, but due to licensing, there are no Trans Am decals for the fenders or rear spoiler which is a real bummer as I have to find a set now. Anyways, this is a real nice kit and I really enjoyed the build. Thanks for looking!

DSCN3372.JPG

DSCN3374.JPG

DSCN3376.JPG

DSCN3379.JPG

DSCN3380.JPG

DSCN3384.JPG

DSCN3349.JPG

DSCN3386.JPG

DSCN3388.JPG

10 hours ago, LouO said:

Very Nice! Some tedious (and great) work with those decals!

Thanks Lou! Yes very tedious, took every last ounce of patience I had:blink::blink:.

7 hours ago, Geno said:

I'm droolin'. Great build Craig.

Mr. Burns.jpg

Thanks Gene!

7 hours ago, oldscool said:

That looks very nice.

Thanks Gerald!

7 hours ago, shoopdog said:

Very nicely done!

Thanks Keith!

5 hours ago, Deuces said:

WoW!!

Now, now how's about some outdoor shots under the sun?????..... ??

5 hours ago, Jantrix said:

x2!

Coming soon guys. I've only managed to get outdoor pics of one car so far, so hopefully in the next couple of days I can get them all out for some summer sun pics.

5 hours ago, slusher said:

Beautiful T/A!!! Wonderfully detailed!!!

Thank you Carl!

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Very well done.

Thanks Lee!

1 hour ago, KWT said:

Very nicely done!

Thank you Jeremy!

1 hour ago, Tom99 said:

Looking good!

Thanks Tom!

12 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Painted with Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black and cleared with Tamiya TS-13 Clear. Interior is done with Rustoleum Satin Canyon Black, and chassis is Rustoleum Flat Black Primer. Used various craft paints and Testors bottle paints for the details. I was a little worried about the kit decals, but even though they were tricky to apply they don't look too bad. Gauge decals are included for a nice detailed look to the dash, but due to licensing, there are no Trans Am decals for the fenders or rear spoiler which is a real bummer as I have to find a set now. Anyways, this is a real nice kit and I really enjoyed the build. Thanks for looking!

DSCN3372.JPG

DSCN3374.JPG

DSCN3376.JPG

DSCN3379.JPG

DSCN3380.JPG

DSCN3384.JPG

DSCN3349.JPG

DSCN3386.JPG

DSCN3388.JPG

Very nice! Can I ask how you painted the wheels? I'll be building a '84 Trans Am soon with some 3D printed wheels and have been trying to decide how to paint the wheels. 

3D TA wheel 1.jpg

3D TA wheel.jpg

Firebird -wheels.jpg

17 hours ago, Safire6 said:

Very nice! Can I ask how you painted the wheels? I'll be building a '84 Trans Am soon with some 3D printed wheels and have been trying to decide how to paint the wheels. 

Firebird -wheels.jpg

Thanks! First I stripped the chrome, then painted with Testors Gold enamel in the bottle. Then I used a silver metallic sharpie on the raised parts of the wheel, then sprayed some flat clear over them.

16 hours ago, charger74 said:

It looks very good

12 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

FANTASTIC!

11 hours ago, Cpt Tuttle said:

Nice bandit!

10 hours ago, magnum total V8 said:

awesome

10 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

Thanks guys!

1 hour ago, espo said:

Very nice looking build. The paint finish is nice and smooth, how much polishing did you have to do there ? The under hood detailing is very realistic looking. 

Thanks David. I used micro mesh pads after the paint, starting at 4000, then 6000, 8000 and 12000, then Novus #2. I then applied the decals and cleared. I used 6000, 8000, and 12000 on the clear, then Novus #2 again. There are still some scratches on the clear, but I think it looks good enough for me. I haven't waxed it yet, but I will eventually after I get ahold of the Trans Am scripts and get them on. All the engine detailing is molded in except the plug wires. I just used a couple of different sharpies and traced over the outlines. I was very impressed with the details on this kit, and it was pretty easy to make it look good.

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

4 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Thanks David. I used micro mesh pads after the paint, starting at 4000, then 6000, 8000 and 12000, then Novus #2. I then applied the decals and cleared. I used 6000, 8000, and 12000 on the clear, then Novus #2 again. There are still some scratches on the clear, but I think it looks good enough for me. I haven't waxed it yet, but I will eventually after I get ahold of the Trans Am scripts and get them on.

Thanks. I'll have to remember this on my next build, I use little other than Tamiya paints is why I asked.