Model Cars Magazine Forum

what is the best way to ............

Not sure I understand the 1-1/8 inch hole?  Sounds like you want to drill smaller?

Disregarding the above, I have found when I want to drill a hole "pattern", I will Sketch the pattern on my computer and print to an address label which I will apply to the stock.  I will then affix the thin stock (in my case more often Evergreen plastic but the concept is the same) on a sacrificial backing that is not too resilient.  Normally I will use thin plywood.  I will then drill the pattern.  Drilling through the part into the backing provides a cleaner hole, since the drill bit digs into the backer and continues into it.  

1 hour ago, oldr-n-drt said:

donot want a machine...these pieces are 1/2in x 3/4 in....anyone else?? oldr-n-drt

OK. Tin snips, sharp high-quality ones, used correctly, should do just fine. You may have to very lightly work a slight curl out of the metal after cutting.

http://www.durodyne.com/ToolsSnipsScissors.php

Or, you can repeatedly score your material with a sharp hard blade, then snap it.

Other than a "machine", that's about the extent of your options.

Quality snips, used correctly:

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

brass? only .010"?  I'm thinking brass because it looks like the only material K&S offers sheet or flat strip in .010 thickness.  This answer works for brass .010 thick which is pretty thin material...

A decent set of shears will do the trick easily.  Best not to use your wife's best sewing scissors or her craft shears but even a cheap set of scissors in good condition will do the job.  Scissors will leave a smooth edge, but sharp - careful. It may take work to flatten the curl in the edges but that's not a big deal with this material.  Either a little hammer work on a hard surface or rolling a cylinder over the edge with the part on a flat surface.

On the pin size holes, a drill will work and the hole should be round enough.  On the 1/8" hole, a drill may not leave a round hole in material this thin - drill undersize and use a small needle nose round file to file to shape, size, and location.  Most hobby round files that I've seen are 1/8" on the large diameter. 

Try one of these. Guillotine paper cutter. If it’s sharp and ridged enough it could probably handle thin tin or brass. I’ve used it to cut strips of aluminum from soda cans.

94842B9D-64B5-46C3-B7BA-530711261ADA.jpeg

Edited by JohnU
Add pictures

3 hours ago, JohnU said:

Try one of these. Guillotine paper cutter. If it’s sharp and ridged enough it could probably handle thin tin or brass. I’ve used it to cut strips of aluminum from soda cans.

94842B9D-64B5-46C3-B7BA-530711261ADA.jpeg

Wow! great idea - I can think of a lot of uses - thin brass or aluminum, even Evergreen plastic sheets - cuts straight and square - it would be worthwhile to keep a small cutter like this near the workbench for scratchbuilding work.  Thanks for the tip.

Edited by Muncie