Model Cars Magazine Forum

R&R resin

Are they still doing business ? I can find the web site but don't seem to be able to go any further. Don't seem to be able to pull up price list or email.They show a 62 Ford 4 door which was my first car so I am interested in doing a replica. MCM offers one but only in 2 door and I am not sure I could convert without screwing the body up. :D

I paged through the website and saw a bunch of things i’d be interested in, but nothing was ‘in stock.’  Lack of photos made me wonder.  How’s the quality of the products you bought from RMR?

i hadn’t heard of RMR before this post.  (I know R&R stuff . . . I even knew Ray Parsons before he passed.)

Thanks!

On 7/28/2019 at 2:13 AM, Danno said:

I paged through the website and saw a bunch of things i’d be interested in, but nothing was ‘in stock.’  Lack of photos made me wonder.  How’s the quality of the products you bought from RMR?

i hadn’t heard of RMR before this post.  (I know R&R stuff . . . I even knew Ray Parsons before he passed.)

Thanks!

RMR has been around for awhile now. They have some unique offerings on their own, and now will see a big expansion with the former R+R product. 

On 7/28/2019 at 3:13 AM, Danno said:

Thanks!

Everything I have from him looks to be of good quality.  He does the show around Toledo and  Detroit and brings  table full of product most of the time. I think he also does the NNL East. 

RMR is Ron Andrews. He's been an NNL East vendor for many years.  His work is nice.

R&R was the first volume resin caster at a low price point. His kits ranged from direct repops of old kits, to wagon and sedan conversions.  It was said that you needed to take a look at an R&R creation before buying it.  Sometimes the details  would be "good 'enuf".  Missing a detail crease, wrong shape on a roof line, things like that. He'd simplify the kit by molding it with details like headlights in place rather than as separate pieces. They also would run a mold beyond it's life, and would produce some second generation molds, which resulted in rounded corners and muddy details on scripts and such.  It wasn't Modelhaus quality but it wasn't Modelhaus prices either.  You did get what you paid for!

Ray was also an NNL East vendor and  was a nice enough guy.  He was a bit gruff, and for some odd reason he never had prices on his kits at shows. You'd have to ask, "How much for this one?" and by the third kit or so he was getting a little agitated!  Still, I'd buy a kit or two when ever I saw him.  I have a bunch of R&R kits.

Whenever you saw him at a show and asked how it was going,  he'd remark, "This is the last year I'm doing this."  That went on for several years.  Then he found an eBay vendor,  Mighty Mouse to sell for him and he stopped doing shows.

The last time I saw Ray was a surprise appearance at NNL East.  He wasn't a vendor so I was surprised when he strolled up to the admissions desk as a spectator. He was in the best mood I ever saw him in!  He had a bunch of his kits he gave us for door prizes.  He told me that he was happy now.  He liked working in the shop and cranking out kits,  it was the selling and traveling part he didn't like.  It was good to see him.   The next year he died.  

Ron at RMR has a task ahead of him sorting through the R&R molds.  He has to figure out which ones are good to produce and which ones shouldn't be cast again.   I can imagine that some of the molds have aged out in the five years they've been sitting also.  

Edited by Tom Geiger

46 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Ron at RMR has a task ahead of him sorting through the R&R molds.

It might be a difference of terminology; but, why would Ron sort through older molds instead of making new ones from the masters he must've gotten when he bought R&R? If anything, the master patterns are more important than used silicone casting molds.

31 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

It might be a difference of terminology; but, why would Ron sort through older molds instead of making new ones from the masters he must've gotten when he bought R&R? If anything, the master patterns are more important than used silicone casting molds.

If there are masters.  A lot of the R&R stuff was just repops of old kits.  It's known that some of his stuff was molds made from past copies, resulting in soft copies.   Lord knows what he wound up with.

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

RMR is Ron Andrews. He's been an NNL East vendor for many years.  His work is nice.

R&R was the first volume resin caster at a low price point. His kits ranged from direct repops of old kits, to wagon and sedan conversions.  It was said that you needed to take a look at an R&R creation before buying it.  Sometimes the details  would be "good 'enuf".  Missing a detail crease, wrong shape on a roof line, things like that. He'd simplify the kit by molding it with details like headlights in place rather than as separate pieces. They also would run a mold beyond it's life, and would produce some second generation molds, which resulted in rounded corners and muddy details on scripts and such.  It wasn't Modelhaus quality but it wasn't Modelhaus prices either.  You did get what you paid for!

Ray was also an NNL East vendor and  was a nice enough guy.  He was a bit gruff, and for some odd reason he never had prices on his kits at shows. You'd have to ask, "How much for this one?" and by the third kit or so he was getting a little agitated!  Still, I'd buy a kit or two when ever I saw him.  I have a bunch of R&R kits.

Whenever you saw him at a show and asked how it was going,  he'd remark, "This is the last year I'm doing this."  That went on for several years.  Then he found an eBay vendor,  Mighty Mouse to sell for him and he stopped doing shows.

The last time I saw Ray was a surprise appearance at NNL East.  He wasn't a vendor so I was surprised when he strolled up to the admissions desk as a spectator. He was in the best mood I ever saw him in!  He had a bunch of his kits he gave us for door prizes.  He told me that he was happy now.  He liked working in the shop and cranking out kits,  it was the selling and traveling part he didn't like.  It was good to see him.   The next year he died.  

Ron at RMR has a task ahead of him sorting through the R&R molds.  He has to figure out which ones are good to produce and which ones shouldn't be cast again.   I can imagine that some of the molds have aged out in the five years they've been sitting also.  

My dad was Mighty mouse that sold Ray's stuff on Ebay. Everything you said about Ray is so true, I never new what happen to the molds. Also way back in the day when Ron started out with that 1/16 Dodge Daytona conversion, Ray use to take them around with him and sell them for Ron. My dad passed away about 3 or 4 years after Ray did they got along real good as they were cut from the same cloth. I got a Christmas card from Ray's wife that was done by her daughter, and was informed that Ruth has gone blind. Also Star Models in Nebraska has released some of the old Ray kits.

Edited by dave branson

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2019 at 10:29 PM, SfanGoch said:

R&R Resin has been defunct since 2014 after the owner passed away. The owner of Resin Model Ranch purchased all of the R&R masters in October 2018 and is recasting them presently. Check the RMR website every so often to see what is listed.

I don't see anything in stock

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 10:22 PM, dave branson said:

My dad was Mighty mouse that sold Ray's stuff on Ebay. Everything you said about Ray is so true, I never new what happen to the molds. Also way back in the day when Ron started out with that 1/16 Dodge Daytona conversion, Ray use to take them around with him and sell them for Ron. My dad passed away about 3 or 4 years after Ray did they got along real good as they were cut from the same cloth. I got a Christmas card from Ray's wife that was done by her daughter, and was informed that Ruth has gone blind. Also Star Models in Nebraska has released some of the old Ray kits.

I called Ray up on the phone and asked him about the availability of a kit, many years ago. He was nice to talk to.I could sense his frustration. Too bad he is gone.

The R&R stood for Ray and Ruth Parsons. He did offer some unique stuff but you learned pretty quickly that if the sample on his sale table looked really good buy That one and not  a different one he had boxed up on another table behind him. The display item was always a good one....those boxed ones could be questionable. He was a regular attendee at our Toledo NNL events for many years and always contributed to our raffle prize table stuff.

1 hour ago, misterNNL said:

He did offer some unique stuff but you learned pretty quickly that if the sample on his sale table looked really good buy That one and not  a different one he had boxed up on another table behind him. The display item was always a good one....those boxed ones could be questionable.

True!  But he wouldn't sell the floor model because he had plastic wrap over it to hold it in place.  And he'd get ticked off if you opened the box to check out the one he presented to you!   ?

32 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

True!  But he wouldn't sell the floor model because he had plastic wrap over it to hold it in place.  And he'd get ticked off if you opened the box to check out the one he presented to you!   ?

Which is why I stopped buying from him.  Either he presents you with a good product and stands by it, or....  I have a couple of pieces that are in decent shape.  But a third I was going to buy was excrement.  He didn't like my opening it right there, but I said no Lookie, no money.

On 7/29/2019 at 1:12 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

RMR has been around for awhile now. 

Race Motor Replicas (RMR) is owned and run by Ron Andrews. Is Resin Model Ranch (RMR) also owned and run by Ron Andrews? Maybe the acronym was kept the same for business purposes and the only DBA was changed?