Model Cars Magazine Forum

Masking Alclad or Spaz Stix

I'm trying to figure out my next move in trying to finish the front bumper on my '60 Bonneville.  I've shot the filler panel behind the bumper with the final body color and cleared it, so far so good.  Now for the chrome.  I had thought of masking the filler panel and then shooting preferably Spaz Stix chrome or Alclad II chrome, but masking it may be a nightmare.  I'd also thought of using my Master Mask goopy film but it only works good when you can put it on rather thick.  I began brushing it on but gave up when it seemed it was going to be hard to get it on thick enough.  So, short of cutting the bumper off to give more room I was thinking I'd just go ahead and shoot the whole front end chrome, then after really dry go back and mask off the grille, headlights, and bumper and shoot the filler panel again with the body color.  Will the tape pull off either the Spaz Stix or Alclad?   I'm guessing it will pull the chrome off.  I use Tamiya tape exclusively.

IMG-3929.JPG

Just now, Tom Geiger said:

I think I would've done the chrome first and then the filler panel.  At this point, mask it all off and use Alclad.  

I was more worried about the tape pulling the chrome than pulling the cleared filler panel color.  If the Alclad stays down that'd be great.  I guess I could do a test piece with Spaz and Alclad and see.  Just wondering if anyone had tried pulling tape off dried alclad or spaz.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, 70mach1 said:

I would mask the filler using BMF shoot the grill and bumper chrome, let dry ,do a black wash on the grill remove the BMF sit back and admire ;)

Never thought of BMF!  In this case maybe easier than masking tape.

Thanks

You may could chrome the entire piece like you mentioned, then clear the chrome with their respective recommended clears, then do the body color part.......  I would think the chrome's clear coat would be tougher and less likely to lift than the bare chrome......

I think the Metal Foil would be the best way to go. As sensitive to touch as everyone has said of Alclad and other products I think you might end up with a real mess. If I may offer something I noticed from your picture. The picture makes the filler panel appear as if it isn't fully covered. Some times masking in tight spots like this it is easy to lose any body lines you may be using for a masking line. You may already have done this, but what you can do is use  your #11 blade and draw where it is you want the line to be before you mask the panel. This will give you the visual as well as a line that is visible after you put down the foil. This line will be far easier to see than just the line on the casting. Use than as your cut line for the foil, a light clear coat to create a barrier from the Chrome Pant that you use. After all of the chrome paint work is done and before removing the foil, lightly follow the edge of the foil with a #11 cutting thru any chrome spray on the foil. The foil should come away with no problems and give you a sharp clean edge between the two colors.