Model Cars Magazine Forum

For over twenty years, I have been pondering and preparing to build a replica of The Surfers dragster. I have now been educated by one Roger Lee as to why my two initial attempts to build the chassis were not right. Turns out that the things I'd read, and heard about the chassis, over the years, didn't provide the whole story. The plans from the old Popular Hot Rodding article are only useful for the front-half of the car, and for the roll cage, itself. The back-half, previously unbeknownst-to-me, was actually a copy of the chassis that Rod Stuckey built for Karamesines (not, as is most commonly written, an RCS/Frank Huszar chassis). Roger provided me a plan for that chassis, along with a couple of  notes regarding the chassis. The car was front-halved by RCS, and they moved the differential uprights forward four inches--so, that's where that all  came from.

Armed with the two drawings, I used my favorite photo program to scale the drawings to one  another, gave one some transparency, so I could see what I was doing, and overlaid them. I then imported that composite into AutoCAD, and drew the attached plan, using only the sections of each drawing that were pertinent to the Surfers car. I submitted the new drawing to Roger, and now my chassis drawing is "Riceman certified"!  I'm about to head out on a couple of quick errands, but, I'll be melting solder, later this evening.

I mentioned that I have been planning this project for many years. I wanted to make this my best piece. I have several new things I want to try with this project, not the least of which is to complete a project with a brass chassis, and an aluminum body. Now, I have done a body in aluminum, and a couple of "playing around" chassis, and  I feel confident that I can put it all together!

Surfers dwg 1.jpg

Surfers dwg 3.jpg

7 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

Finally! Git'R Done! 

Hahaha! I am ready. Armed with the new plan, I have one side of the chassis soldered together. I set the engine/motor plate assembly on top of it, and held a slick in its approximate location. Already, the iconic look is forming.

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

6 hours ago, GaryR said:

This should be a good one!
Riceman KNOWS his dragsters that's for sure and a very good guy!

The Surfers are legend!

No doubt about the latter two! As for the first, I reckon we'll find out!:D I've "known" Roger for quite a while, now (almost 20 years), and he never ceases to amaze me, with is knowledge. An example: When I submitted my plan made from the composited images to him, the first time, I had gone pretty much Stuckey back-half (roll cage included), RCS front-half. Roger said "Make the roll cage 3" taller.  When I did, the roll cage height matched exactly, the height of the Popular Hot Rodding drawing! All I could do was shake my head!

Edited by Straightliner59

On 7/30/2019 at 7:48 AM, Lee Yoder said:

Definitely going to follow this build!  In case anyone is interested, here is a YouTube link to the first of a 50+ video series about the Surfers: 

Lee, thanx for that. Fascinating videos, learned a lot from those.

Daniel, will be following your project. What a cool FED.

On 8/2/2019 at 4:05 PM, vintagercr said:

I will be watching this build

Thanks, Steve. Okay, I finally have this right, and got the "Riceman Stamp of Approval". Next step is to install the frame uprights and diagonals, then I can move on to straightening out the rear chassis loops, and installing them, and the torsion bar and bottom cross tubes and diagonals. Questions and comments are always welcome!

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

On 8/4/2019 at 5:22 AM, afx said:

Chassis is come along nicely.

Thank you, JC. I had a terrible bout of frustration, installing the uprights and diagonals on the left side of the chassis, so, I took a couple of days break from it. I installed the diagonals for the right side of the cockpit area, this morning. I'll get the rest of the right side done, over the weekend. Then I can move on to putting the chassis together. As you can see in the comparison photo, I need to shorten the  upper rear chassis loop. Otherwise, I think it compares quite favorably to the real car. I've included a couple of shots of an engine I  started fourteen or so years ago, that I may use. If not, I'll do up the unpainted one in these photos, and use it. I am considering installing studs for at least one of the heads, so I can open one side of the engine. Should I do that, I will likely make pistons for that side, and fit them into aluminum sleeves, for the cylinders. Thanks for looking! Questions and comments always welcome!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

Ref rear angle.jpg

block1 canon web.jpg

block2 canon web.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

I got the uprights and diagonals installed on the other side of the chassis. Thanks to Roger's guidance, it went much more smoothly than the first one. My soldering is a little rough, but, it'll clean up! I'll be making a new wing, because I m not happy with the veneer I used--it has a paper backing, that messes with the finishing of it. I'll also be reworking the motor plate, to correct its profile. Thanks for looking! Qs and Cs always welcome!

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0021cr.jpg

Having finished installing the uprights/diagonals on the second side of the chassis, I did a little cleanup, then installed the torsion bar. I shortened the upper chassis loop, then soldered it and the lower piece in place, before installing the rear upright. A little more cleanup, then I will make the torsion arms, begin work on the front axle, and redo the motor plate. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg