Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coca Cola Kits ?

Seriously, though: what about a reissue of a '70's custom van with Coke packaging & decals, with two building options: one for a stock-ish period delivery van, and the other for a Coke themed wild custom van? The AMT Ford or Chevy, or the MPC Dodge would be great candidates. The box art for such a kit could be killer.

We haven't seen the MPC Ford van in some time (basically since the early 80's), that would be a really nice one to have back. This would be a great excuse to get it back. Some of the custom parts in some of those (Sunrunner, Sorcerer, Juke Box?) were fantastic. I'm thinking they had the option to flip that tool back and forth from 2wd to 4wd configuration; the 2wd would work better for this purpose. I seem to remember these kits having stock dog dish hubcaps in them, they would work well for the delivery van option.  

Didn't they do a Ford Ranger pickup with Coke graphics in the 90's? Even that one was pretty cool. Oh wait- I see that in the thread. Yeah, pretty cool!

Edited by CapSat 6

3 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

Seriously, though: what about a reissue of a '70's custom van with Coke packaging & decals, with two building options: one for a stock-ish period delivery van, and the other for a Coke themed wild custom van? The AMT Ford or Chevy, or the MPC Dodge would be great candidates. The box art for such a kit could be killer.

AMT-1173 1/25 1977 Ford Van w/Coca-Cola Machine

On 8/2/2019 at 10:36 AM, Chuckyg1 said:

I picked this kit up for cheap on Amazon. I think it was a special run for a convention, but I'm not sure.

Lindberg released a few kits in Coca-Cola themed packaging, as did RC2, pre-Round2. There's really nothing new about this phenomenon, save for maybe the sheer volume this time around:

lindberg-cocacola-dodge-a10-little-red-pickup.jpg.d59a47cd4e258189d169328f80f088f7.jpg

61rB3z4zCML._SX425_.jpg.05b0e748fe46572c046f9472502cd11b.jpg

download.jpg.fe27f143113ec49cae7d0f5ed465f5c1.jpg

s-l640.jpg.b663b78a0f28fdb8077e018e2d3c21e5.jpg

50chev.jpg.c9e98818239a712d8a5cff49912b4870.jpg

Edited by Casey

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 8:04 AM, Mark said:

They'd have to get Levi's licensing too.  They didn't for the Gremlin kits, the box only mentioned a "denim" interior.

Ok, leave the Levis logo empty or off the box art. They could include the letters all scrambled up on the decal sheet and we can put it back together if we wanted to.

Ford logo should be a slam-dunk since they have to get Ford's OK for the van anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2019 at 8:17 PM, Greg Myers said:

Looks like a '69 Dodge Charger is coming out next with the Coke logo

Yeah, right where the confederate flag would've been!?

And maybe they could put the letters "I" and "T" where the 01 used to be!

"Coke is IT"

Edited by Oldcarfan27

Speaking of "the real thing", a suggestion for Round2/AMT: Put your money where your mouth is and tool up a REAL delivery body and chassis for one of your existing truck kits (yes, including those wheels/tires):

1950_coca_cola_1.jpg.da1cc6546c77680ea65767cb87fae4a4.jpg

The Coca-Collectors would buy plenty of them, and so would the rest of us builders, many of whom would toss the delivery part and build various haulers. 

Consider the gauntlet thrown.default_dry.png.0e147700bedeb0125f7288fe710d56cc.png

Edited by ChrisBcritter