Model Cars Magazine Forum

Brat Update III: In and out and all about!

The BRAT keeps on rolling! Well, not physically, since I haven’t done the wheels and tires yet, but it’s metaphorically well on its way!

One part of cars I really like is the interior, and while it’s simple, the old AMT Brat has some nice detailing. The texture of the carpet and the detail on the door panels and seats is great; it’s a bit too bad it isn’t going to be more visible! Still, I’ve had a good time building it, and I’m glad that I cut the bucket separate from the bed. Best move ever.

I’ve also got the paint on, and that meant it was time to look at the decals. Since this is an original BRAT, not the reissue, I don’t have that super-nice looking new sheet to work with. I had a scan of it, but that’s cheating, and I wanted to make the originals work. WOW… that’s quite a fight!

Check out the ups, downs ins and outs at the link below! Despite what it looks like, I think things are getting close!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/2019/07/31/brat-update-3-sit-down-dress-up-and-hold-on/

brat-090.jpg?w=400

Edited by Faust

Looks fantastic, checked out your link you have quite a bit invested in this model and it all looks good. The time you spent dialing in to get the proper ratio decals will set this one off!

Edited by LouO

I went to your page and read your latest report.  I love the work you did on the decals.  Upon buying a kit, you wouldn't even think that the decals would be that far off.  Glad you pointed that out.   

I was surprised that I didn't have a Brat in my massive stash. I thought I had all the loser cars, especially when they were available at shows for $5-10, I'd just automatically pick them up.  In comparison, when I started my recent Datsun pickup, I realized I already owned two different versions of that kit!  I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday and I would've bought a Brat if they had one.  They did not!

Soldier on!

Thanks guys! 

I was absolutely shocked when I saw how badly the decals were off. I mean, it's like they never even  tried them! Of course, since there's no built model on the box, maybe they didn't? 

I know that the BRAT's in heavy stock at Great Lakes Hobbies in Sterling Hts. MI. When I was there, two and a bit weeks ago, they must have had 7 or more! The Brat is the quintessential Charlie Brown Christmas Tree; it's got what it takes, but it takes a lot to bring it out.