Model Cars Magazine Forum

As young kid I always remembered my uncle telling he was an airplane mechanic overseas when he was in the military. I would listen to what little I could understand as I handed him tools he asked for ( most of the time the wrong tool) as we bent over the engine bay of some old car he'd happen to be working on. As the years past I never really got the chance to talk more about his military service, you know how life tends to get in the way of things...sometimes important things. Anyway I moved away and pretty much lost touch with him. Anyway, fast forward to 2001, I received word that he had passed away. At his funeral, I found out a lot of the details that I couldn't fully appreciate when I was a kid....that he was indeed an aircraft mechanic...a Tuskegee P-51 Mustang mechanic! I hate to this day I didn't take the time as an adult to find out more about him. I built this plane back in 2008 as a kind of personal tribute to my uncle. In the 2 movies that were made of these heroic men, they often uttered the phrase "Straighten up, and fly right"...and I strive to do just that. This is the 1/25th scale Airfix kit. Thanks for looking.

2019-07-31 18.37.41.jpg

2019-07-31 18.40.57.jpg

2019-07-31 18.38.47.jpg

2019-07-31 18.39.57.jpg

2019-07-31 18.49.34.jpg

2019-07-31 18.44.08.jpg

2019-07-31 18.48.53.jpg

2019-07-31 18.45.43.jpg

2019-07-31_18_52_55.jpg

Nice story and nice build James. Beautiful airplane. As a kid I built a large scale Monogram kit of the P-51. It had a sliding canopy and retractable landing gear as it appears the Airfix kit does. I too wish that I had a chance to find out more about my uncle's lives before they passed. Unfortunately people of that era that were in WWII did not openly talk about their experiences much I think. 

Great story, beautiful model. I'm sure your uncle would be very pleased.

Not too long ago, I saw an interview given by one of the surviving pilots who had gone on to rise to Colonel, retired, and then worked his way up to CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Just more proof of what an exceptional group of men they were.

Everyone involved with the Tuskegee Airmen deserves a hearty round of applause.

Very nice build of the best looking Mustangs. Everyone who has the opportunity to thank a vet should do so and to listen to the oral history of their service to the country.

One of my back burner project is to take that kit and make 'Quicksilver' memeorial P 52

&filename=Quicksilver-Mustang-2.jpg&mode

greg

What a great story, a great tribute and beautifully built aircraft. These are, hands down , truly one of the most beautiful fighter aircraft ever built.

Very well detailed, very cleanly built and beautifully painted Mustang James. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by mustang1989

9 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

What a great story, a great tribute and beautifully built aircraft. These are, hands down , truly one of the most beautiful fighter aircraft ever built.

Very well detailed, very cleanly built and beautifully painted Mustang James. Thanks for sharing.

x2

Beautiful Build .. TY for the History and sharing it . Kruse WW II Museum , loacted at Auburn , In was collecting stories from the experiences this generation had during the conflict and documenting all . Not just heroic accounts , all , even mundane .. Thanx ..