Model Cars Magazine Forum

Howmet TX engine?

Hello every one,

It's been a while and I'm eyeing building another AMT 1/25 Howmet TX CanAm (the cheaper one).

The one that I had a lot of fun building was lost in the Woolsey fires of last year.

The kit had a sort of lump for a turbine engine and was wondering if any one knows of a suitable well detailed engine or at least a nice base to start with?

Resin or kit bashing from another car/airplane model is fine by me.

A picture is attached for reference.  Albeit not of the CanAm car but of a Howmet engine none the less.

I believe that the experience gained from previous builds including my initial Howmet, that I can make a fantastic one now.

A picture of my previous Howmet build is also attached.  Boy I sure miss that little thing.

howmet.jpg

IMG_1903_zpsdvjx2pjp.JPG

IMG_1909_zpssq9cwtb4.JPG

IMG_1901_zpsynxwsipp.JPG

25 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

I have this turbine engine but I don't know where it came from and I think it might be too big for the Howmet.

20190802_135133.jpg.fa44da88250d55ef17677fb3be852eb3.jpg

Thanks Gramps.  It's a cool looking engine but doesn't look close to the Howmet.

Hoping some model aircraft guys would provide guidance as well.

I was thinking of robing the appropriate jet aircraft model kit but unsure what would look close as there are just so many of those kits out.

1) All turbine engines are not the same, and there are hundreds

2) The turbine model shown above is the ancient Revell parts-pack version, and does NOT represent any turbine engine that ever actually existed.

3) The Howmet cars ran Continental TS-325-1powerplants, derivations of the T-51, and were never put into real production.

4) For that reason, it's highly doubtful there's another model of the correct engine floating around.

5) The AMT kit provides decent bare-bones that would respond well to detailing based on the multitude of photos and info available on the engine.

More info here:

15 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

5) The AMT kit provides decent bare-bones that would respond well to detailing based on the multitude of photos and info available on the engine.

Hi and thanks Ace.  Darn, was hoping of an easier option.  Welp, I guess making the included engine of the kit better is what a modeler would do.  So I'll plan on that.

Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

awaking a sleeping thread  -  Profil 24 has announced a Howmet Turbine with a very detailed engine

looks like they are doing some 3D design ??

it wont be cheap - but it will only be slightly more than an ebay  Howmet Turbine AMT kit

and by the way - thats a nice looking - build !!