Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Engine ID needed

The first engine, molded in red, with the auto gearbox, looks at first glance like a Chrysler hemi. The trans looks like a 727 with a short tailshaft housing, and the shape of the heads also indicates hemi. It looks to me like the early FirePower hemi, which came in 331, 354, and 392 cubic inch displacements. The distributor drive hole would be in the rear.

HOWEVER...early Chrysler big hemis often mount the starter on the driver's side, unlike your model. To the best of my recollectory, the 727 doesn't bolt up to an early hemi without an adapter, either. That MIGHT indicate your engine represents a 426 second-generation hemi, which would have the distributor drive hole in front. But the starter would most likely be on the driver's side on a 426 as well.

BUT WAIT...I'm checking oil pan shapes on the trans. The pan doesn't look right for a 727, even though the top of the case looks like one.

The other two engines appear to be Fords due to the forward sump configuration, but I wouldn't really care to speculate as to what Ford they represent, due to the lack of cylinder heads and other sure-fire identifying details.

EDIT: The oil pan shape on the trans, from what I can see in your photos, matches a 727 Chrysler Torqueflite the best.

Maybe somebody will actually recognize which kits these are from, 'cause I'm kinda stumped.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The one molded in red is from the MPC Mercury Cougar funny car kit.  It's meant to be an Overhead Cam Ford engine.  Why it has a Torqueflite transmission is a mystery, but that's how it is in the kit.

The other engine is a Ford FE big-block.  Looks like it is from a Monogram kit based on that upper hose being molded as part of one of the halves.  Not sure which kit it is from, but the dark blue color would point towards their Tom Daniel Paddy Wagon kit.

Thank you Bill & Mark.

These engines came from a friend long ago. I do have a couple other Dyno Don Comet parts, & I just looked online & confirmed that it is from that kit.

The blue one does look to be from a Paddy Wagon kit. Not sure about the other red Ford, but it has to be from another Daniels kit.

7 hours ago, Mark said:

The one molded in red is from the MPC Mercury Cougar funny car kit.  It's meant to be an Overhead Cam Ford engine.  Why it has a Torqueflite transmission is a mystery, but that's how it is in the kit.

The other engine is a Ford FE big-block.  Looks like it is from a Monogram kit based on that upper hose being molded as part of one of the halves.  Not sure which kit it is from, but the dark blue color would point towards their Tom Daniel Paddy Wagon kit.

It means that all are FE engines then because the SOHC is based on a FE too, but they are quite crude representations if I may say. :rolleyes:
The red and blue engines has the engine mounts where the oil filter should go.

But the heads on the red engine would suggest a Hemi at first glance.  The cam cover that extends the block and heads at the front isn't there. 

MPC used the Cougar's chassis under other funny cars, including one Dodge.  But I don't think they used that engine block in the Dodge.  Why they put a Torqueflite transmission behind a Ford engine is baffling.

On 8/3/2019 at 8:21 PM, Mark said:

Checks out. :)

Mono6741TDPaddyWagon3_1.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2019 at 8:21 PM, Mark said:

TorqueFlite transmission adaptation was pretty common in drag racing for only about 3 years 1965-67. The reason for this is that since Chrysler pioneered the concepts of modern automatic transmission use in drag racing starting with the Max Wedge cars, and the aftermarket and shops like Art Carr having built them already to take big HP numbers, the TorqueFlite was way out in front in terms of development and brute strength. If you look at the magazines from that era, you will see ads for those adapters. Funny Cars, Gassers and lower class Altereds are where they were most commonly used. The Clutch-Flite was the next logical progression, as torque converter technology lagged behind a bit

7 hours ago, Mark said:

But the factory-backed Ford/Mercury cars didn't use Chrysler transmissions!

Don't kill the messenger. It is likely that a TorqueFlite was used in the actual car, which was not, incidentally, a "Factory Backed" car. It is important here to make a distinction between factory contingency programs and actual back door skunk works type race cars. Contingencies made sure there were cheap or free parts available to independent racers who were most likely to help sell cars on Monday (record holders and highly visible teams).... Ford really didn't sweat too much about something like the TorqueFlite transmission use if a guy was on a contingency deal. They knew that drag racing at that point was largely a mongrelized sport and soon enough their then brand new C6 transmission design would have enough r&d and field development in racing to be in wide use

Edited by garagepunk66