Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Impala SS 427

Plowboy

Beautiful stance and choice of rims on a chevy not near as popular as the earlier Impalas. A 427 SS was uncommon that year, I wanna say something around 3000 produced? dont quote me on that. Thanks for reminding us how good one of these can look.

On 8/3/2019 at 11:55 AM, TarheelRick said:

That is one mighty fine looking Impala.  Really like that color, I had a '65 Chevelle SS that was very close to that color.

I like that color too! Does anyone know if it was available in a spray can, or if it's even available at all any longer, I can't find it anywhere. Was it lacquer or enamel?

5 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I like that color too! Does anyone know if it was available in a spray can, or if it's even available at all any longer, I can't find it anywhere. Was it lacquer or enamel?

Thanx! This model was painted with a spray can. Model Masters produced it for a few years. But, it's been discontinued for a few years. It's  a two part lacquer that requires a clear coat.   

4 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Well done, very nice model! It would be easy though to improve the looks of the "fully-chromed" headlights with just some drops of UV glue to give them some depth. 

Thanx! They have a layer of windshield glue over them and actually look better in person. It may be time to add another layer to them though.

5 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Thanx! This model was painted with a spray can. Model Masters produced it for a few years. But, it's been discontinued for a few years. It's  a two part lacquer that requires a clear coat.   

Leave it to Testors to discontinue a great color like this.

On 8/3/2019 at 7:05 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Love it! Really stands out in those close-up shots. Did you replace all the glass with clear sheet?

Thanx! I replaced the windshield with one from a '70 Impala. The rear glass is original and the quarter windows are clear sheet.

This is a truly great build.

Fantastic job all round, that color pops, really glad you managed to replace the cracked glass.

I have the AMT '67 Impala SS, unfortunately the 'street machine' version with the not so good custom wheels, and I need some inspiration before tackling it.