Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to replicate this seat pattern? (1958 Plymouth)

I am getting ready to start a 1958 Plymouth kit (The Christine one) and realized this interior is a little more accurate for Plymouth Belvederes of that year.  Any idea how one could replicate the interior in the first picture?  How would one make the white seat background?  How could one recreate the black textured part of the seat?  Both are slightly different.  

Thanks

canyon gold 2drh interior 12.jpg

interior1.jpg

Not sure if this is still made, but there was a "textured paint" out there called Faux Fabric. When it dried it looked an awful lot like the textured black you have in your pic. The first pic, you might be better off printing that on to decal paper and cutting it to size. If you search around on the 'net, there are sites that show in a straight view various patterns for interiors.

If your handy with your PC, you can then copy that image and then scale it down to size. You then want to perhaps put it on your desktop as "tiled" do a screencap of your desktop (no program icons) and then save that as a .jpg file to print on either plain paper or decal paper.

A little work involved, but I hope this helps!

Scale Motorsports has a few different decal sheets, one of which might work to replicate the texture of the inserts. keep in mind that in 1/25 scale, the scale height of the texture is going to be minuscule, so don't go with anything which will look out of scale.

https://www.scalemotorsport.com/decals/upholstery-pattern-decals.html

Here's Scale Motorsport's Cane upholstery decal:

smcane.jpg.32a2846a821c62270ae4f1f1f1984e03.jpg

Edited by Casey

If I recall correctly, the '58 Plymouth kit had textured seat inserts molded in.

There are techniques that you can use to detail this type of upholstery with nothing more than paint.

Using the first photo as my goal, I think that I would paint the insert with a lacquer paint, starting with a light tan.

Next I would use a slightly thinned flat black enamel to go over the tan.

With this technique you can now go back after it has dried and carefully wipe the flat black off of the high points with a Tamiya conical swab dipped in a little bit of mineral spirits.

This will remove the black from the high points without removing the underlying tan background color.

Then you can mask off the inserts and shoot the overall vinyl seat color.

This might not give you an exact match to the correct upholstery pattern, but it will give you a nice contrast and some texture.

I have used this technique occasionally along with another that entails just using the white plastic as a background, painting a contrasting color over it, and scratching a random pattern into the contrasting color with a dental tool to expose the plastic underneath.

Not optimal, but it will add some texture.

2v2uC3Jy3xwUbWP.jpg

2v294zEkFxwUbWP.jpg

You can also do some pretty far out stuff with just some patience and a lot of masking! :D

2v2uTRqQNxwUbWP.jpg

Steve

Well, for starters, Christine was actually a Belvedere, not a Fury, Furies were only in Buckskin Beige with a special white and gold interior. Why Steven King (who's a bit of a car guy) used Fury instead of Belvedere, I don't know aside from possible familiarity with the public.

In any event, I second Scale Motorsports' upholstery decals.

Charlie Larkin

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

You can also do some pretty far out stuff with just some patience and a lot of masking! :D

2v2uTRqQNxwUbWP.jpg

Steve

That is AWESOME!  Is this a replica of a pattern found in a real car, or something you came up with yourself?

On 8/3/2019 at 10:40 PM, gman said:

Printing this on some decal paper (experiment re-sizing on plain paper first) might get you something in the ballpark:

https://www.webfx.com/blog/images/cdn.designinstruct.com/files/371-fabric_textures/fabric_texture_01.jpg

Thanks,  this fabric pattern looks super close to the one on the first picture or just close enough.  I might be able to get by with just printing it on regular paper and gluing it to the seat.

On 8/3/2019 at 1:09 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

If I recall correctly, the '58 Plymouth kit had textured seat inserts molded in.

There are techniques that you can use to detail this type of upholstery with nothing more than paint.

Using the first photo as my goal, I think that I would paint the insert with a lacquer paint, starting with a light tan.

Next I would use a slightly thinned flat black enamel to go over the tan.

With this technique you can now go back after it has dried and carefully wipe the flat black off of the high points with a Tamiya conical swab dipped in a little bit of mineral spirits.

This will remove the black from the high points without removing the underlying tan background color.

Then you can mask off the inserts and shoot the overall vinyl seat color.

This might not give you an exact match to the correct upholstery pattern, but it will give you a nice contrast and some texture.

I have used this technique occasionally along with another that entails just using the white plastic as a background, painting a contrasting color over it, and scratching a random pattern into the contrasting color with a dental tool to expose the plastic underneath.

Not optimal, but it will add some texture.

2v2uC3Jy3xwUbWP.jpg

2v294zEkFxwUbWP.jpg

2v2uTRqQNxwUbWP.jpg

Steve

That is some amazing interior work!  How did you do the black and white patterns on the first picture?