Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Brutalform

Jo-Han 62 Chrysler 300 hardtop

Recommended Posts

Has anyone built this kit? If so, would they be kind enough to post some pics?  

I’m looking into one, if I can get it for a fair price, and would like to upgrade the engine, suspension, and chassis. Otherwise everything else would remain stock. Anyone have any input on what chassis, and engine would be a good candidate for this build? 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The chassis from the Lindberg '64 Plymouth/Dodge kits are excellent replacements for the Johan part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did build one, but I used the chassis from the kit, with a few mods. Not nearly a great job, as I turned it into a tubbed pro-street  type! (Don't know what I was thinkin'!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would the AMT '57 300 parts work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really; the '57 was body-on-frame and the '62 was unibody. You could use the centers of the '57 wheelcovers but the outer part is different; you'd need to somehow add the 14 slots around the perimeter that were added for cooling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, got it. I have another '62 300 in the stash for later on. I'll keep this in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine gave me his tiny collection of unbuilt and "started" (painted) kits ; and among them was the USA Oldies release of the '62 Chrysler 300 hardtop . All that he did to it was paint the body in Testors Gloss White , and parts of the interior in flat red . The engine is partially-assembled , painted in Testors Sky Blue . It's 100% complete and is not a gluebomb .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd concentrate on the interior more than the chassis or engine.  Several of the USA Oldies kits had upholstery pattern detail from later years.  The Chrysler is one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mark said:

I'd concentrate on the interior more than the chassis or engine.  Several of the USA Oldies kits had upholstery pattern detail from later years.  The Chrysler is one of them.

I think the Johan interiors are as bad as the chassis.  They are too shallow and sometimes didn't even have trans tunnels. Johan test drivers had very short legs.

There is work that can be done to lower the floor to add some realism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started building one. But, couldn't get past the interior. It's terribly shallow and not worth the effort to fix it. So, I canned it. I wouldn't pay more than the price of a new kit for one. I didn't and still felt like I paid too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind, the USA oldies version of the 62 300 has a 65 300 interior tub in it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

I started building one. But, couldn't get past the interior. It's terribly shallow and not worth the effort to fix it. So, I canned it. I wouldn't pay more than the price of a new kit for one. I didn't and still felt like I paid too much.

I’ve always loved the body lines on this car, and the headlights, etc. I can live with the way the interior is. 

From the few JoHans I’ve seen, the interiors all seem too shallow. 

Maybe if I buy it, I’ll just go to town on the body, and it will make a nice display model. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Keep in mind, the USA oldies version of the 62 300 has a 65 300 interior tub in it

So is getting a correct tub going to be next to impossible to find? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Keep in mind, the USA oldies version of the 62 300 has a 65 300 interior tub in it

Correct.

If you're worried about correcting the interior, you will be starting from scratch, except for the dash and steering wheel.

Only the original issue versions of this kit had the correct '62 interior.

I built the original issue convertible version with the correct interior some time back.

They are still typical Johan, but at least they are the right configuration.

 

 

Steve

 

2v29hqD8qxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EWJd1dxwUbWP.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Correct.

If you're worried about correcting the interior, you will be starting from scratch, except for the dash and steering wheel.

Only the original issue versions of this kit had the correct '62 interior.

I built the original issue convertible version with the correct interior some time back.

They are still typical Johan, but at least they are the right configuration.

 

 

Steve

 

2v29hqD8qxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EWJd1dxwUbWP.jpg

Looks stunning. 

A convertible would have to have the interior correct. No way to avoid looking at it. But for a hard top, as long as the dash and steering wheel are right, I can live with that. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brutalform said:

So is getting a correct tub going to be next to impossible to find? 

Tough. Yes.

Impossible. No.

Ive bought trashed / customized builtups just for the interior. 

I think i have 2 maybe 3 correct interiors stashed away.

Last one i bought cost me maybe $25 give or take.

I put the later tub in it and resold the builtup kit for cheap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Tough. Yes.

Impossible. No.

Ive bought trashed / customized builtups just for the interior. 

I think i have 2 maybe 3 correct interiors stashed away.

Last one i bought cost me maybe $25 give or take.

I put the later tub in it and resold the builtup kit for cheap. 

Yea, Bill, I’m not too worried about the interior, but I could change my mind. Especially if a resin caster had that 413 cross ram manifold available. Then I’d probably want the correct interior. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

But for a hard top, as long as the dash and steering wheel are right, I can live with that.

Absolutely!

Under no circumstance would I let the incorrect interior stop me from building it.

I have 2 or 3 of the USA Oldies '62 300s. and I won't let it stop me.

Although it might be a fun challenge to try to basically scratch build one.

The '62 300 interior is not particularly fancy.

Just basic pleated seats and fairly simple door panels.

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

Especially if a resin caster had that 413 cross ram manifold available. Then I’d probably want the correct interior. 

Ah, but then you need to be aware that there are no recorded examples of a '62 Chrysler 300 ever being built with the cross ram intake.

I researched this fairly extensively when I built my convertible........But it still got one anyway! :D

 

 

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Ah, but then you need to be aware that there are no recorded examples of a '62 Chrysler 300 ever being built with the cross ram intake.

I researched this fairly extensively when I built my convertible........But it still got one anyway! :D

 

 

Steve

I did a quick search, and from what I found I can go with a 383, or the 413. 

Where did you find the manifold Steve? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

I did a quick search, and from what I found I can go with a 383, or the 413. 

Where did you find the manifold Steve? 

The "Long Ram" manifold came as a custom option on every Johan Chrysler 300 annual kit produced all the way up to and including 1968.

Of course the '62 USA Oldies kit did not, but coincidentally, the inline dual quad was correct for '62 anyway.

The Long Ram intake went away after 1961, made a return in '63 and '64 and then disappeared after that.

I researched and found that there were no '62 Chrysler 300s ever recorded to have been equipped with the long ram intake, although it seems that it was available in '62.

So I decided that my '62 vert would be that "unicorn". :P

 

My manifold came with the model.

 

 

 

 

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Steve, can we see the rest of your '62 300? Your work is always the best..

The last time I had one of these kits, was sometime back in early 80's. It's been a long time. I seem to remember that car had the 300H markings on the trunk, but really represented a non-letter car in other details. Am I remembering that correctly? I can't remember why I thought the kit did not correctly represent a true letter car? Maybe it was the interior that tipped me into thinking that. I'd love to see photos of what came in the USA Oldies kit. Especially the interior and dashboard. 

Edited by unclescott58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Brutalform said:

Yea, Bill, I’m not too worried about the interior, but I could change my mind. Especially if a resin caster had that 413 cross ram manifold available. Then I’d probably want the correct interior. 

I might have a spare long ram intake setup.

If i do....its yours if you want it

 

Will ck tonight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

Steve, can we see the rest of your '62 300? Your work is always the best..

The last time I had one of these kits, was sometime back in early 80's. It's been a long time. I seem to remember that car had the 300H markings on the trunk, but really represented a non-letter car in other details. Am I remembering that correctly? I can't remember why I thought the kit did not correctly represent a true letter car? Maybe it was the interior that tipped me into thinking that. I'd love to see photos of what came in the USA Oldies kit. Especially the interior and dashboard. 

I'm not an expert on what represented a letter car either.

I know that the interior in the USA Oldies kit was actually from a '65 300 promo and the wheel covers were never correct for a 300.

As far as I know, there is nothing else in the Johan kit that would make me think that it is not a letter car.

My convertible had the original '62 interior and I used the custom wheels from the AMT '58 Impala kit, which strangely enough are fair representations of '62 300 wheel covers.

 

 

Steve

 

2v29hKsHnxwUbWP.jpg

2v29hKsKNxwUbWP.jpg

2v29hKsUyxwUbWP.jpg

2v29hKRPnxwUbWP.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

I might have a spare long ram intake setup.

If i do....its yours if you want it

 

Will ck tonight

Thanks Bill, I might take you up on that, all depending on which route I want to go. 

I don’t even have the kit yet, but fingers crossed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...