Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Plymouth Road Runner Superbird Rebuild

mrmike

This Superbird has been languishing on the shelf.  Time for a rebuild!  I kept on looking over the Superbird and things started to fall off...with a little pushing and shoving!  The interior and glass are out.  I found a set of Rallye wheels and wider tires.  This is dust turning to dirt!  I'll break this down and wash everything!

More to come...

Superbird01.JPG

Superbird02.JPG

Superbird03.JPG

Superbird04.JPG

Superbird05.JPG

Superbird06.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Since the chrome plating on the rear bumper was flaking off, I decided to strip the rest of the plating and I found Petty Blue plastic under the chrome.  I think this was the original plastic color on the body.  I have dismantled the engine and will strip the chrome from the carbs and alternator.  I may leave the valve covers plated.  The rear suspension came off rather easily, but the front suspension was much more difficult and I broke off a couple of braces for the suspension.  I used a couple pieces of styrene rod to replace them with.

More Superbird to come...

Superbird08.JPG

Superbird07.JPG

Superbird09.JPG

Hi Mike, I'm doing quite a lot of similar stuff (re-builds/ restos of rare models) lately, so I'll definitely be in! It's right that the Roadrunner decals are missing from the later editions of Revell/ Monogram kits (probably due to image licensing issues?) but you can get them from various aftermarket sources. I bought mine on Ebay from a seller called Oma's Cool Stuff. 

12 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Hi Mike, I'm doing quite a lot of similar stuff (re-builds/ restos of rare models) lately, so I'll definitely be in! It's right that the Roadrunner decals are missing from the later editions of Revell/ Monogram kits (probably due to image licensing issues?) but you can get them from various aftermarket sources. I bought mine on Ebay from a seller called Oma's Cool Stuff. 

You can order them from Keith Marks Graphics.  https://public.fotki.com/mofobow/plymouth/road_runner_decals/70_superbird/

Well, it was bound to happen.  I broke the center screen.  I was in the process of gluing it all back together when I realized that I was missing a small piece.  I cut out a piece of photoetch screen and a piece of plain 0.020 styrene and superglued them together.  When all was dry, I bent the piece slightly around the handle of a hobby knife.    Fits pretty good!  A little more sanding and filing and it should be perfect.  Just need to paint it flat black.

Superbird13.JPG

Superbird14.JPG

Superbird15.JPG

Thanks Terry!

After priming the chassis, I looked it over and discovered many sinkholes in the plastic.  At this point, I don't care.  I am forging ahead with paint and assembly.

Superbird18.JPG

Superbird16.JPG

Superbird17.JPG

After priming the chassis, I gave it a quick look over and discovered many serious sinkholes in the frame.  At this point, I don't care.  I'm forging ahead with paint and assembly!  I loosely covered the center of the chassis without burnishing it down and made a couple of quick passes with Testors Hemi Orange Lacquer.  Not bad for a first time.

Superbird19.JPG

Superbird20.JPG

Superbird21.JPG

Maybe not the clearest picture, but you can see the round styrene I added under the rear wing supports.  When I removed them as part of deconstruction, I broke the pins.  This is to replace them.  I drilled the cylinder heads for plug wires and them I painted the engine with Mopar Street Hemi Orange Engine Paint.  I know, I usually do this procedure the other way around, so maybe there hope for me yet?

Superbird22.JPG

Superbird23.JPG

Superbird24.JPG

Hi Mike. Nice project. You mentioned the "Petty Blue" color when you stripped the chrome bumper. I built a Petty Superbird many years ago, and it was molded in blue, so I just clear coated it. I no longer have that model, but have a photo on my model site. It's near the bottom of the page.  http://www.shamblesmodels.com/race-cars.html

Keep us posted.

Edited by Shambles
typo

Thanks for the link, John!  I looked at it some.  Nice models!

I removed the exhaust from the rear axle and of course, I broke them in two.  Using the chassis as a jig, I clamped the exhaust onto the chassis and glued the exhaust back together.  When they have dried, I'll remove them and clean up and paint the glue joint.  I repainted the front suspension and added it to the chassis.  I cleaned up the rear axle and repianted it.  I need to make a set of rear shocks and mounts since this kit doesn't include them.

Superbird25.JPG

Superbird26.JPG

Superbird27.JPG

I roughed up the surface with some sandpaper, washed and dried the body, primer and then paint.  What you are looking at is the colored plastic with an enamel clearcoat over it and the clearcoat yellowed over the years.

I sat down this evening with my Dremel Motor Tool and started grinding the excess plastic from the exhaust pipes to get them round and generally the same size.  Then I mocked them up and applied a little more glue to help solidify the joints.  Tomorrow, I'll repaint the exhaust system.  The 440 6-Barrel has been painted and wired.  I'll detail the carbs and install the air filter when I have finished detailing that.  I wanted white letter tire markings, but I didn't have any.  I remembered these yellow tire letters from my trips to NNL East and I cut them out, dipped them in water and applied them to the tires.  Tomorrow, I'll coat them with flat clearcoat.

Superbird28.JPG

Superbird29.JPG

Superbird30.JPG

I finally got my decals today from KWT.  Thanks KWT!!!  I've been picking away at the interior.  Still more detail to add.  The 440 6-Barrel is nearly done.  I painted the air cleaner with Testors Competition Orange enamel paint and it is in the dehydrator until tomorrow.  It should be dry by then.

Superbird31.JPG

Superbird32.JPG

Superbird33.JPG