Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Plymouth Road Runner Superbird Rebuild

mrmike

Very nice! Some time ago I started rebuilding my Superbird. According to the note I left in the built model, I originally finished it in Feb 1988. One trip too many rolling off the shelf, and now I have a rebuilder. Happy to say my skills are much better than they were back then. Or maybe I just have more patience now. 

Looking forward to seeing yours done. :)

Thanks John!  There was no paint, just an enamel clearcoat over the blue plastic that was starting to yellow.  I used a medium-fine grit sandpaper to help rough up the surface, primer then paint.

Edited by mrmike

I sat down this morning and looked over the various parts of the Superbird that I painted and discovered that the rear wing didn't have much paint on the bottom of the wing.  I repainted the rear wing top and bottom.  The hood is looking good especially after I had detailed the hood pins and lanyards.  The rear bumper is ready for some Alclad II Gloss Black and Chrome paint.

More Superbird to come...

Superbird37.JPG

Superbird38.JPG

Superbird39.JPG

The plastic on this kit has gotten brittle over time.  I was holding the body in my right hand and using a pinvise in my left hand trying to open up the holes for the rear wing when I heard "snap" and the lower right rear fender broke.  My heart just sank since I just painted the body several days prior.  This Superbird wasn't a show contender to begin with and I had decided to let it sit on the shelf unfinished.  But, I just had to finish it and I glued the lower fender back on and added a strip of styrene to the back for support and repainted the body.  I added several coats of Model Master Ultra Gloss Clearcoat to the hood.  Looks pretty good, but it will look much better when it is polished!

Superbird40.JPG

Superbird41.JPG

Superbird42.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of my favorite kits of all time, I've built several. Looking good so far. One thing, if you don't mind......it looks like you may be foiling the side marker lights. Thats correct for the front, but the rear ones didn't have chrome bezels. Sounds goofy, I know, but they used Dodge Coronet front fenders for these things, hence the difference. Everything else is looking spot on! 

Thanks Jeff, but...

I thought I had finished my Superbird yesterday and packed it for my Club meeting.  When I unpacked the Superbird at the meeting, the rear spoiler had broken off in several places.    My attempt at rejoining the spoiler produced a joint line that I didn't like.  I traced out two pieces of .020 sheet styrene and glued them together.  Now to sand and shape this into a spoiler.

Superbird55.JPG

Superbird56.JPG

Superbird57.JPG