Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do you prime all pieces

46 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

I personally (and will probably be told I’m a bad boy lol) only prime the bodys part where I’m looking for that awesome shine.

This, mainly. Some exceptions, but for the most part. B)

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

I normally prime everything. Most parts need to be sanded to remove parting lines and molding problems so priming is pretty much a must to get a better finish. IMO. 

Same here.  Clean up, prime, inspect and then paint the wee bits.   In my case I use mostly automotive sprays, so priming the parts is necessary to protect the plastic so it doesn't do weird things!

I will glue together bare plastic of assemblies like an engine block and everything on it that gets painted the same color,   parts of a rear end etc, prior to priming.

I just cringed when I watched that HPI Guy's video where he was spray painting complete parts trees with hardware store paint!  

Edited by Tom Geiger

Is red oxide (or grey) primer as a final color on a floorpan considered paint or primer? :huh:

Anything that requires cleanup or filling gets primer so I can make sure it won't show in the final paint. Anything else, maybe or maybe not. Black suspension parts, stainless exhaust, etc. typically doesn't get primer.

Oh gosh, no,  that would get increase my primer budget , by a lot.   Well, I take that back, if the parts are going to black then I do , I use a black primer, no wonder my primer budget increased....:huh:

For the most part no , I really only primer pieces that are going to be body color , or, if the parts are molded in a color that is going to make it hard to paint certain colors, I will primer. 

it depends...

If it's a part with a lot of very fine detail, I try to avoid adding an extra coat of paint if I can get away with it - thinking about paint and material compatibility and all that chemistry stuff.  Some primers (like one of my favorites Plasti-kote T235 gray) go on heavy and have a lot of surface texture that covers up detail.  

I primer just the body and the parts that need filler . Like sinkmarks with superglue, or if it’s really rough , then I prime. It is to see the imperfections and sand out. Otherwise I just paint. This model had sinkmarks everywhere! So I primed the areas that I had to fix. Body, seats, dashboard, rear suspension cradle, turbos and inter coolers, air intakes. It’s your preference but this is what I do. 

5DAF4C00-4AC1-4EC8-91E9-91919FD07E1E.jpeg

It's interesting to see the varying responses. I'm sure if we had a thread asking if you sanded seams, ejector pins and attachment points, there would be people ferociously defending not doing any of it. 

Every January I do the 24 Hour Build.  One year I built the MissDeal Funny Car and being an old Revell tool, it had a lot of clean up required. Since this was a timed event starting at noon on a Saturday,  by 6pm I realized that all I had accomplished was cleaning up and priming all the parts. Yes! That kit had 6 hours of clean up to get to that point. And I was working quickly!    It's all a matter of personal preference and the results you are satisfied with achieving.

Admittedly, it comes down to the kit and the paint I'm working with. 

For instance, I have a few of the Revell SCCA Trans-Am Camaros, specifically the Baldwin Hot Wheels Camaro and the Sharp Rain-X Camaro. The Baldwin kit is molded in bright blue. Sharp's car is molded in a nearly translucent yellow. 

Any hope of a good result on those builds requires primer on every part so that the final color isn't effected. 

5 hours ago, PierreR89 said:

Someone have to break this trend that is going on.

I dont prime anything.
I tried one time but i could not see any differance with the end result (yes it was on the same body, one half primer other nothing)

That may be depending on the paint you are using.

You won't get away with this using lacquer paint.

Steve

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

It's interesting to see the varying responses. I'm sure if we had a thread asking if you sanded seams, ejector pins and attachment points, there would be people ferociously defending not doing any of it. 

Every January I do the 24 Hour Build.  One year I built the MissDeal Funny Car and being an old Revell tool, it had a lot of clean up required. Since this was a timed event starting at noon on a Saturday,  by 6pm I realized that all I had accomplished was cleaning up and priming all the parts. Yes! That kit had 6 hours of clean up to get to that point. And I was working quickly!    It's all a matter of personal preference and the results you are satisfied with achieving.

I typically do clean up on any piece visible but if it's not visible I dont bother. Like I wont do any cleanup on interior tub if the chassis covers it.