Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do you prime all pieces

21 minutes ago, Brudda said:

Steven is right on the lacquer. Need some kind of barrier coat. 

Even some enamels are too hot for bare plastic.

You would basically have to stick with hobby enamels or acrylics to avoid problems, and personally, I have yet to find an acrylic that works well without a primer.

Steve

I prime the body, and all of its parts. I prime wheels, if they are resin. I also prime ALL resin parts also. Many engine parts I usually do not prime. Reason being, is I like to incorporate the use of MM Metalizers. Whether it’s the buffing or non buffing type, the magnesium, and aluminum plate, gun metal, etc, all look fantastic when brushed onto engine intake manifolds, and exhaust manifolds. And the metalizers work best on bare styrene, as compared to primered parts. 

12 hours ago, Brutalform said:

the metalizers work best on bare styrene, as compared to primered parts. 

I use Testors metalizers a lot on engine and driveline parts. I always primer parts. I'm interested to hear what differences you encounter between metalizer applied on primered vs. non-primered parts. I only use spray cans not bottled paints. If I need to brush on, I spray a little onto a piece of aluminum foil and pick it up with the brush from there. -RRR

8 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

I use Testors metalizers a lot on engine and driveline parts. I always primer parts. I'm interested to hear what differences you encounter between metalizer applied on primered vs. non-primered parts. I only use spray cans not bottled paints. If I need to brush on, I spray a little onto a piece of aluminum foil and pick it up with the brush from there. -RRR

I had heard that the Testors metalizers were discontinued.  I love to use them for different tones of silvers on models.

paint stand 1

And I agree, I don't use brush paints, I spray everything.  When I need a little paint to touch up something, I spray into one of these small Dixie bathroom cups. They're cheap, so I keep a dedicated pack in the model room.  They are also great spray stands!

11 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

It's been a while, but I've had good results with Krylon Dull Aluminum as  primer for the Testors metallizers.  It seems to bring out the metal look in the metallizer.  Dull aluminum also works as a cast aluminum finish by itself.  Can be difficult to find. 

On 8/9/2019 at 8:15 AM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Maybe it could be the size of the part, now that I think about it. 

The only problem I encountered with primer under the metalizer, when I have a floor pan, and fuel tank primed, if I cover the primed fuel tank, the primer gets chunky looking underneath ( not very smooth looking). So if that part is primed, I’ll usually use a Vallejo air acrylic instead. I never really primed smaller engine parts to begin with, so I’m not sure if they would act like the same way, possibly because there is less area to cover?

Edited by Brutalform

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:01 PM, Brutalform said:

.... And the metalizers work best on bare styrene, as compared to primered parts. 

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:15 AM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

I use Testors metalizers a lot on engine and driveline parts. I always primer parts. I'm interested to hear what differences you encounter between metalizer applied on primered vs. non-primered parts. -RRR

I have never even knew about metalizer paints until now, but according to the testors website they MUST be applied to bare plastic. I believe I will have to check the LHS for some to try.

https://www.testors.com/pages/help-and-support/faqs/general-questions/

On 8/9/2019 at 5:17 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I had heard that the Testors metalizers were discontinued.  I love to use them for different tones of silvers on models.

paint stand 1

And I agree, I don't use brush paints, I spray everything.  When I need a little paint to touch up something, I spray into one of these small Dixie bathroom cups. They're cheap, so I keep a dedicated pack in the model room.  They are also great spray stands!

Wow, I hope the are not discontinued. I recently put in a special order at my LHS, and the jars I ordered arrived in a couple of days. I’m running low on the Aluminum Plate, so I better get down there to see if it still can be ordered. He can pull anything up on his computer and let me know right there if it’s back ordered, or discontinued.