Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '32 Phantom Vickie

Plowboy

Just started this one. The goal with this model is to build something that looks old school. But, be all modern underneath. The biggest challenge will be making the engine look like an older engine. I'm thinking of using a set of Hemi valve covers on the heads and using an older throttle body fuel injection with fuel rails and some type of breather. Or I may modernize a Hilborn setup. The chassis will be straight from the kit. I've never seen this body with a set of fenders. So, I wanted to add them to help disguise the Mustang II front suspension. There's a bit of a wheelbase issue. I have another set of fenders to cut for the rear to fill in the current gap. l never have liked the Duvall windshield. So, I cut the cowl and windshield frame from an old built up roadster. I also don't like the top. So, I modified the kit piece into different one. Don't know if I'll make it a hardtop style or make it look like a convertible top. Right now, it's in the rough in stage. Not 100% on the wheels. But, I have to see them painted with the whitewalls before I can or keep them. Right now, I don't like them. I think I'll just repaint the interior. I may change the seats. Lots of stuff still up in the air. I'm open to any ideas or suggestions.

48464808617_30947a73c8_b.jpg

48464642691_fd4fc26517_b.jpg

48464795312_687e62358c_b.jpg

I'm thinkin' your wheel choice is fine. It's the tires bein' so tall on the rim that makes 'em look a bit 'off' on the build. Use a slighly shorter sidewall with the whitewall and (in my worth nuthin' opinion) I think the wheels will look even better under your build.

Thanx guys! I got a little more done. I couldn't stand looking at the wheels all chrome any longer. So, I got them painted to see how they would look. I think they'll work. I got the engine put together and found a set of Hemi valve covers that fit perfect. Still haven't figured out the induction. I bobbed the rear fenders to see how they would look. I like them better. So, I think I'll just fill in the gap between them and the running boards. I'm planning on smoothing them anyway. I'm going to use the seats from the AMT '34 sedan. I just have to cut the back down to the right height. 

48475017561_83ffc57bcd_b.jpg

48475025856_96fa998cf2_b.jpg

48475178657_8710feb5e0_b.jpg

I'm still just cobbling stuff together together to see what does or doesn't work. I haven't nailed down a color yet. I'm thinking of a silver or gray metallic. I have to see what's in the stash.

I now have enough cobbled together that I can blow it apart and begin the putty, sand and primer process. I'll start with the chassis and work my way up. It will be simple as it's straight from the box. I'm not 100% on the wheels. I may change the color. The spokes just seem to disappear with the black. I've got quite bit more done:   The fenders are filled. Rear seat is cut down to fit. I added a reveal to the roof. I'm going to keep it a hard top. I got the induction setup. It's from the AMT '53 Ford pickup. I just gotta modernize it a bit. I found a set of headers from the Revell '50 Ford pickup. They fit almost perfect. I still haven't nailed down a color. I got time for that though. I've got a few little tweaks left to do. But, I should spraying some primer in a couple of days. 

48481594341_9730394ee9_b.jpg

Steve, I like the small caps better myself. The stock caps look a little too big to me. Right now, I'm not sure if these wheels will even make the cut. I'm going to have to see them painted along with the body. The plan is to paint them Light Gun Metal at the moment.  

I have the frame, rearend, engine/accessories and the interior in paint. The Dull Red isn't much different than red oxide primer. A little darker. But, not much. I think it'll look good with the Mica Silver. The engine is just Dupli Color Bright Red. I think once it's all together, it'll take a sharp eye to notice that it's actually a DOHC Ford engine. The dead giveaway will be the serpentine belt and coil packs of course. I can't wait to get the chassis back together so I can do some mockups to see how it's going to look.  

48551422082_3a6a6c937f_b.jpg

48551426027_05225f9e66_b.jpg

48551429567_590a816c7e_b.jpg

13 hours ago, slusher said:

Roger, what are those wheels in your mock up ? I can not see them very well.  I really like your project!!

Thanx Carl! They're the Kelsey Hayes wires from the Revell '32 sedan. Same as in the first photos. Just painted black. That's why I'm changing the color on them.

The body is now in paint. I only have a few pieces left to paint. Before I do a final polishing, I gotta get the wheels and tires nailed down. I painted the wheels with Light Gun Metal. I didn't like them. So, they're in the stripper again. I'm gonna paint them with Mica Silver. If that doesn't work, I'll paint them dull red. If that doesn't work, I'll try a different set of wheels and tires or just can it.

48600721856_2131f5413e_b.jpg

Really like where this is going but for what it's worth, I reckon she could really do with some rubber rake.  You don't sound convinced on your wheel choice but I think it is more likely the tyre selection that is giving you a bad vibe.  Fill those back fenders up, tilt her nose down and her bum up and I reckon this will pop!

If it still needs some help, try gluing a 1/24th scale inner rim to the outside of your rears to give them a bit more depth and offset. 

On the other hand, a fellow rod club member here in Western Australia built the Model A below about ten years ago. Silver with an oxblood interior and his wires are maroon with dress rings.  Maybe that would work?

Cant' wait to see this done!

Cheers

Alan

IMG_4185.JPG