Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '32 Phantom Vickie

Plowboy

22 hours ago, Plowboy said:

The body is now in paint. I only have a few pieces left to paint. Before I do a final polishing, I gotta get the wheels and tires nailed down. I painted the wheels with Light Gun Metal. I didn't like them. So, they're in the stripper again. I'm gonna paint them with Mica Silver. If that doesn't work, I'll paint them dull red. If that doesn't work, I'll try a different set of wheels and tires or just can it.

48600721856_2131f5413e_b.jpg

That's looking great Roger. Love the maroon with the steel grey.

I hear ya about those wheels, hard to get them to look good. Almost makes a guy want to spring for a nice set of 3-D printed ones. 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/6PXDTJXEQ/set-of-four-kelsey-hayes-quot-bent-spoke-quot-big-little

Set of four Kelsey Hayes "Bent Spoke" big & little 3d printed

6 hours ago, Can-Con said:

That's looking great Roger. Love the maroon with the steel grey.

I hear ya about those wheels, hard to get them to look good. Almost makes a guy want to spring for a nice set of 3-D printed ones. 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/6PXDTJXEQ/set-of-four-kelsey-hayes-quot-bent-spoke-quot-big-little

Set of four Kelsey Hayes "Bent Spoke" big & little 3d printed

Thanx Steve! Those are nice. But, not $25 nice. The 3-D stuff still has a ways to go regarding finish before I buy.  

I think the biggest issue for me with these wheels is the color and the lack of depth on the rears as Alan mentioned. Once they're stripped again, I think I'll see what I can do with the rear wheels. If I mess them up, no big loss. I have a couple of other sets of wheels in mind at the ready. But, I really want to make these work if I can.

Edited by Plowboy

I got the engine together and detailed a little. At first glance, it looks like a Hemi. Probably won't fool many people. But, it has the look I was after. I think it'll look pretty cool once it's installed in the frame and has the body surrounding it. I'm going to have to relocate the oil filter as it will interfere with the header. Minor problem. I also have the chassis done. Just gotta get the wheels issue sorted out. I had to soak the wheels in brake fluid. First time using it. What do I use to clean the brake fluid off?

48608631268_56cc31a32f_b.jpg

1 hour ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Brake fluid is water soluble. Good rinse with warm water then clean with dish soap. 

The car is looking really good. I actually liked the gunmetal wires. Engine looks good, too. It’s kinda like those phony flathead toppers for small block Chevy’s. 

?

ADL always has the best tips! 

Looking forward to seeing you finish your Vickie, Roger! -KK

Thanx guys! I cleaned the wheels with degreaser just to be sure. I have the rear wheels deepened and it's made a huge difference in the way they look! I've decided to paint them with Stainless Steel this go around. It's between the Light Gun Metal and the Mica Silver. I should get them in primer today and paint tomorrow. Then, it'll just be putting it together. Everything else is pretty much done. It's been a pretty fun little project except for the wheel issue.

4 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Thanx guys! I cleaned the wheels with degreaser just to be sure. I have the rear wheels deepened and it's made a huge difference in the way they look! I've decided to paint them with Stainless Steel this go around. It's between the Light Gun Metal and the Mica Silver. I should get them in primer today and paint tomorrow. Then, it'll just be putting it together. Everything else is pretty much done. It's been a pretty fun little project except for the wheel issue.

Now that's a good word! -KK

I now have a rolling chassis! Just gotta hook the headers up to the exhaust. I'm a little disappointed with the headers. I had cut the flange away and bent the pipes so they would line up with the exhaust ports. I don't know if spraying primer and paint on them caused them to go back to the original shape or they just did it on their own. But, they did and now they don't line up exactly. Good thing this is for fun build! I am happy with the rear wheels. The depth is just right. The color is also exactly what I was looking for. One thing I messed up on is the color of the chassis. It only has one coat of clear. The body has four. So, it's a lighter shade than the body. For whatever reason, I wasn't thinking about the frame showing. Hopefully, it won't be too noticeable against the body and fenders. 

48629876623_dced0cea59_b.jpg

13 hours ago, slusher said:

Roger, is that the engine out of the 53 AMT Ford truck!? Great lookin engine...

No, the engine is actually from the Phantom Vickie kit. It's a quad cam Ford engine from a Cobra Mustang. The injectors, stacks and valley cover are from the AMT '53 Ford pickup. I don't know what the valve covers are from.