Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: Octopus Truck - Tako Yaki

• 2 weeks later...

I figured I would give a quick update. For some reason the tamiya red paint I used was drying dull red in random spots. I tried to sand the spots and go again. I finally got it all even and went to do a gloss coat but got distracted and put on a small spot way too heavy. I sanded it down there and went to do again and some reason I got very tiny bubbles in the paint. I sanded again but had to take it down to the plastic because I couldn't get it even. I washed it all off and going to try again. I might just pick a different red since this can might be bad.

In the past I would have either tossed it or given up but this is such a neat model I want to get it right. 

Sad part, the spot messed up would have been covered by another piece so I could have left it and would not be visible 

Edited by youpey

On 8/18/2019 at 6:08 PM, youpey said:

I figured I would give a quick update. For some reason the tamiya red paint I used was drying dull red in random spots.

If your weather's anything like NY's weather right now, that's probably due to high humidity...I shot a few spoons the other day to see if it was dry enough in our apartment with the air con for the paint to dry nicely but it blushed and went flat pretty quickly.

Cool project though!  I like it!

3 hours ago, CabDriver said:

If your weather's anything like NY's weather right now, that's probably due to high humidity...I shot a few spoons the other day to see if it was dry enough in our apartment with the air con for the paint to dry nicely but it blushed and went flat pretty quickly.

Cool project though!  I like it!

That is probably it. Its been pretty horrible lately. I remember saying it was super disgusting outside when I painted it 

I haven't repainted it yet. Been so lazy lately 

1 hour ago, youpey said:

That is probably it. Its been pretty horrible lately. I remember saying it was super disgusting outside when I painted it 

I haven't repainted it yet. Been so lazy lately 

Humidity last week when I painted was 80-something percent, and today my Alexa told me it was only 50%, so I gave it a shot and laid down three almost-perfect coats of clear.  Makes a HUGE difference, I've realised this past week or so