Model Cars Magazine Forum
250 Testa Rossa

Fred Cady GT350R decal sheet

Looking for the Fred Cady GT350R decal sheet, or the rocker stripe decals included in this set. Please let me know what you have.

Thanks

8 hours ago, 250 Testa Rossa said:

Looking for the Fred Cady GT350R decal sheet, or the rocker stripe decals included in this set. Please let me know what you have.

Thanks

I'm sure you know there wasn't an "R" on the real cars like the decal sheet has.  Maybe Model Empire (new name?) still has them?

What color stripes are you looking for??? Not sure there was a 'R' set....but I'll check.

I do not have the Cady sheet.....or it would be yours.....although.......

This kit is the GT350R, but the box art doesn't depict the decal showing the "R" for the rocker stripe.

1565134951253659032745.jpg

39 minutes ago, Khils said:

This kit is the GT350R, but the box art doesn't depict the decal showing the "R" for the rocker stripe.

Yes, but I'm after the competition numbers, and the rocker stripes for the GT350 street car, which are included in the sheet. The Monogram ones are poor quality. 

1 hour ago, Khils said:

There never was an "R" on the real 65 R model Shelby stripe.  Maybe Fred did it as a joke.  There's was however an GT350H for Hertz and GT350S for Supercharged.

5 hours ago, vamach1 said:

There never was an "R" on the real 65 R model Shelby stripe.  Maybe Fred did it as a joke.  There's was however an GT350H for Hertz and GT350S for Supercharged.

That's true. I also need the competition numbers off that sheet. 

Posted (edited)

Contact Model Empire to see if they have them.  They acquire a lot of stock from Fred and offer it.

I just spoke with Fred on Sunday at the GTR NNL.  He still has a lot of remaining stock (about a third is all gone).  He is sending me a catalog so I can post it with information for those interested in getting any remaining stock.

Send a SASE envelope in a letter to his old PO Box and ask him if he has the particular decal sheet, including sheet number if you have it.  He will tell you if he has it, and, if so, pricing. Fred's mailing address is:

Fred Cady Design

PO Box 576

Mt Prospect,  IL 60056

Fred has retired from the decal business for almost 10 years.  He is not making any new ones and he is not doing any online presence offering or selling decals.  

Edited by Exotics_Builder

With all your eye on detail Maxx, are you aware the GT350 lettering is not supposed to be the same color as the stripes?  Viking Blue and Guardsman Blue were the two colors.  If you're OK with them being all the same color I would think the 0.030 thickness difference wouldn't be that be much of an issue either...

Nice to hear Fred is out and about. Back late 1980's Fred came to our Model Car Cottage Industry event our club held. Got to know Fred pretty well and he's one reason I started a decal biz.  

Also I can't tell from the posted image, but did you measure the widths of the top stripes to see if they taper? 

The real ones are not a constant width on the top, but a clever illusion of sizing to make them look like they are once applied to the car.

12 minutes ago, Scale-Master said:

Also I can't tell from the posted image, but did you measure the widths of the top stripes to see if they taper? 

The real ones are not a constant width on the top, but a clever illusion of sizing to make them look like they are once applied to the car.

Tony Branda has the measurements for the stripes online.  When I painted my 66 Mustang I considered using the 'real' measurements.....but worried my painter would not be able to do it right.   Came out OK anyway.....2v2E7PieWxJcANd.jpg

On 8/7/2019 at 12:57 PM, Scale-Master said:

With all your eye on detail Maxx, are you aware the GT350 lettering is not supposed to be the same color as the stripes?  Viking Blue and Guardsman Blue were the two colors.  If you're OK with them being all the same color I would think the 0.030 thickness difference wouldn't be that be much of an issue either...

Yes, I know. I'm using what's available this time because there are no paint masks available for the rocker stripes on the GT350. I already have plans to paint the Le Mans stripes on the top of the car. If there's any other options, I will gladly take them. 

I bought a bunch of Cady decals when he was going out of business. I know I have a set with gold stripes will look tonight to see if I have any other. May take the weekend to answer.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jjsipes said:

Glad you found the read deal.  This is one seller on Ebay that sells poor copies of Cady decals.

Here are some I've collected over the years either from Cady or the Monogram kits.

IMG_5066.JPG

Edited by vamach1