Model Cars Magazine Forum

Masking Over Decals

I have a difficult paint job coming up, the decals provided are missing a body color stripe between a pair of decal stripes.  It looks like it will be best to place the decals first and then mask and shoot the body stripe.  I always put a coat of clear gloss over the decals.  Has anyone done this and does it work?  The decals are expensive so I'd rather not have them pull off with the masking tape.  Is there a good tape to use for this?  I usually use Tamiya masking tape.

Try it with other decals first, but I'd guess that the masking tape will peel the decals.  In the areas where the decals will be, the tape will be pulling against clearcoat which is applied over the decal.  Which bond will be stronger, the clearcoat to the decal, or the decal to the paint underneath?

You're over-analyzing the situation. K.I.S.S. principle is in effect. All you need to do is to cut the decal using a double bladed stencil cutter

image.png.ee7b981f088e1f3b2c26c77469612c02.png

removing enough so it can be applied with the proper space (for the body color to be visible) between the two stripes. End of story. If you don't have one, I suggest that you purchase one.

Another option would be to make your own body colored decal.  Get some white decal paper and cut out the strip.  Then spray the decal paper with the body color using a lacquer paint.  The lacquer will generally stick to the decal paper without harming, but follow the same procedure you would use to clear coat over any decal.  Lacquer is also impervious to water so the decal should work just fine.  Also use white and not clear decal.  That way you will get a true color.  If you use clear the color underneath may "bleed" through if the paint is slightly translucent. 

On 8/6/2019 at 8:48 PM, Warren D said:

Thanks for all your thoughts.  I have suspected that the decal to model bond is not strong enough and the decals will likely pull off with the masking material. 

When I intentionally remove decals I use a piece of scotch tape, and they come right off in one swipe. So I’m pretty sure masking tape would most likely do the same. 

I've had to make paper masks, then dampen them with water to keep them in place. have to work quick, don't work great over curves. Have also scanned then printed off 1:1 copies of the decal, then cut out area to be painted. Transferred to photofrisket as a mask, apply, paint, apply decal. Pics of the situation would help...

Don

Sorry it's been so long, things were just hectic.  Here's a pic of what I'm doing, Pigpen's Mack from Convoy.  I have the decals from Model Truckin but they don't have the body color stripe in the middle.  I'm trying to figure out how to do the paint stripe and end up with the top and bottom decals in proper alignment.

pigpen.jpg

Your description isn't very....well...descriptive. It'd be a lot easier to offer the correct information if you'd post a picture of the actual decal sheet. Are the stripes separate?

pigpen.jpg.eb340b336c2993d0b7badd964815038f.jpg.049f91bd93622aad20ca9ad52f819226.jpg

Are both stripes on the same piece of carrier film? Is there a color/clear between them?  Seriously, just post a pic and we can go from there.

in the attached photo, the white line points to the darker body color stripe that I have to paint.  The stripes below are a seperate decal as are the stripes above the line I have to paint.  The problem is that the painted stripe needs to be perfectly located and it would appear easier to apply the decals first, leaving a gap where the painted stripe will go, mask it off and shoot it.  This presumes the decals don't come off with the mask.  It's a very risky task even without the prospect of the applied decals peeling off.

pigpen2.jpg

Tough one....think I would paint the white first. Scan/copy the decal sheet 1:1, then use the copy to make masks on Tamiya tape. Eyeball placement, once again using the copy to help get placement. Make a few copies of the decals, paper is easier to sacrifice than rare decals. Have had to do this in the past, won't be the last time. IIRC there is a Sillhouette Vinyl cutter that can be used to make masks with. Looks good. https://www.uscutter.com/Silhouette-Cameo-Paint-Mask-Sign-Stencil-Kit  Think there are different machines to do this. Little pricy, but gives you the capability to make most any mask(s) you may need. HTH.

Don

I appreciate the responses and ideas.  I think I'm going to try shooting the body color on some clear or white decal film and then cutting the stripe instead of painting it directly on the cab.  It's going to be tough to keep all the stripes parallel regardless of method.

On 8/7/2019 at 7:36 AM, SfanGoch said:

You're over-analyzing the situation. K.I.S.S. principle is in effect. All you need to do is to cut the decal using a double bladed stencil cutter

image.png.ee7b981f088e1f3b2c26c77469612c02.png

removing enough so it can be applied with the proper space (for the body color to be visible) between the two stripes. End of story. If you don't have one, I suggest that you purchase one.

I have one of these and am not really thrilled by it.  I am having some difficulty keeping the blades from closing together.  What are your suggestions?

pigpen2.jpg

IF I was approaching this paint scheme, I'd say that the  body gets painted in the colors... bottom maroon, center white.  Then everything on top of the white section should be a decal. I don't see you being able to mask and paint that maroon stripe with other stripes so close to it.    Show us the decal sheet you have.

9 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

I have one of these and am not really thrilled by it.  I am having some difficulty keeping the blades from closing together.  What are your suggestions?

Interesting, Ricky. The blade holder is essentially a spring and is constructed to provide tension to keep the blades separated. You could remove the adjustment screw and gently spread the arms to increase the tension. I have one I bought in 1991 and haven't any blade alignment problems. Yet. 

29 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Show us the decal sheet you have.

I mentioned that, Tom. Without actually seeing the decals, it's difficult to provide a solution. The site he bought the decals from doesn't even have a product image available. Lame.

At this point, it's becoming ponderous trying to figure out what you're describing. If you can't scan them, take a picture with your phone and post it so we at least have a visual reference to work from. 

Edited by SfanGoch

56 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Since Warren won't help his own cause, I found an image of the decals.

Get a set of Fine Burgundy Pinstripe decals from Custom Hobby Decals and add the pinstripe yourself.

You're not going to find a simpler solution than this. You're welcome.

You could have just stated you found a photo of the decal sheet, without taking shots at another member for simply not posting a photo.