Model Cars Magazine Forum

#5 1964 Plymouth Belvedere

Super28

Well, had to stop on the '60 Starliner before it got kicked "through the goal posts of life.Going to start on #5, Lindberg 1964 Plymouth Belvedere. Looks like its going to be a pain to open the doors and trunk. BUT, going to keep it up until I get good at it!20190806_212255.thumb.jpg.c19112521d147e5755502c17f69080b7.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Cool! When opening doors one needs to calculate the depth of the interior vs the door.  Especially on old Johans!  I remember cutting open VW Rabbit doors for a friend (he just had the body at a club meeting where I was demonstrating cutting open panels).  He got home only to discover that the floor was higher than the door bottoms!

• 11 months later...
On 1/11/2021 at 4:34 PM, Super28 said:

Thank you Gareth. I work on them like an assembly line. If I stay on one too long I start taking short cuts just to get them finished. I'll finish the frame on this one and then more on to #6, whatever step I'm on with that one. 

oh yes! I see now you're  building six cars! I need to read the comments as well as just looking at the pictures, Lol. Hay, I take my hat off to you doing six at a time, flipping heck! What's the theme? is it a dealership diorama, car transporter or just felt like torturing yourself?? xD

Edited by doorsovdoon

19 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

oh yes! I see now you're  building six cars! I need to read the comments as well as just looking at the pictures, Lol. Hay, I take my hat off to you doing six at a time, flipping heck! What's the theme? is it a dealership diorama, car transporter or just felt like torturing yourself?? xD

It's actually more than that. I do one step at a time on a model . if I stay on one model until it's  finished I'll start taking short cuts and get in a hurry to finish it. Once I finish the frame on this one I'll go to number two and finish the interior, then #3 and so on. Keeps me motivated to work on each one. I'll go to back to #2 ( #1 is done. It's in "Under Glass), when I finish the frame on this one , and finish the interior on that one. Then #3, 1969 SC/ Rambler, #4 1960 Ford Sunliner, #5 , this one, then #6 Lamborghini, Veneno. Then I'll add #7, which is a NASCAR kit. Have them all numbered. 

On 2/4/2020 at 5:14 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Cool! When opening doors one needs to calculate the depth of the interior vs the door.  Especially on old Johans!  I remember cutting open VW Rabbit doors for a friend (he just had the body at a club meeting where I was demonstrating cutting open panels).  He got home only to discover that the floor was higher than the door bottoms!

A door opening is not just a smooth  jamb to the interior. There are folds and transitions that are stamped into the metal.

That being said, you could research the way the door jambs look on the real car and integrate it into the pieces you'll have to scratch to fill in the missing areas. Also including the reinforcement while you're adding plastic. If you have to lower the floor to make it level, now's the time to do it while it's all open. 

3 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

A door opening is not just a smooth  jamb to the interior. There are folds and transitions that are stamped into the metal.

That being said, you could research the way the door jambs look on the real car and integrate it into the pieces you'll have to scratch to fill in the missing areas. Also including the reinforcement while you're adding plastic. If you have to lower the floor to make it level, now's the time to do it while it's all open. 

Thank you for your advice. I'll take all the help i can get. I'll get good at this because I'm opening 99% of my builds .