Model Cars Magazine Forum
fiatboy

1/25 chassis equivalent to "General Lee" but better

The chassis on the 1/25 General Lee is nothing to 'write home' about.  I'd like a chassis possibly with seperate front suspension and detailed rear suspension that would maybe or almost fit the General Lee body.  Thanks

Revell '69 Charger pieces would work, but if you are going to buy one, why not just use the whole thing?

You can also use the chassis in any of the stock amt 68,69 GTX or roadrunners or their 70 Superbee.

Are you building a General Lee?  If so, I have a Word document that helps with suggestions for accuracy, and some other research for such a build, if you would be interested.   PM me if so.  If you are just wanting a better chassis for the MPC/AMT '69 Charger, I'm pretty sure that the suggestions from Classicgas, Mark or StevenGuthmiller would be the way to go.  

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Mark said:

Revell '69 Charger pieces would work, but if you are going to buy one, why not just use the whole thing?

Agree. If you want to go with that effort, just use the decals, roll cage & push bar from the MPC/AMT kit, on the Revell '69 Charger kit. The Revell's body is much better in a few key areas: grille, wheelhouses, hood, really overall a superior kit, and a better build. Save the effort making another chassis work, and get a whole Revell '69. You might even want to rework the push bar and roll cage depending on how much effort you want to go to.  

The AMT/MPC kit's body has REALLY been through the mill. The grille inserts were inherited from the old MPC '72 Charger annual kit, so, totally incorrect. The hood was tooled to a '70 Charger hood (see the vents on top- they're '70 or '69 Daytona only), and back again (the leading edge is very messed up); same for the door vents (covered with the '70 R/T door scoop for the annual release, then, half-heartedly "restored"). The rear valence was cut and relieved for better de-molding, but is now a total mess. As much as I love that old MPC/ AMT General Lee kit, and as much as the body proportions are really spot-on, the Revell '69 really is a much better starting point. It drives me nuts that Round 2 hasn't at least fixed the grille inserts or hood in these kits. They had a nice correct '69 hood in their Charger 500 kit from the '80's, but that was never seen again after the first issue of that version. Even the snap kit repeated those mistakes!!!     

Lastly- if you want really nice Vector wheels, look for the ones that came in the AMT '69 Riviera reissues, or the ones that came in the AMT Eckler's Vette/ Farrah Fawcett Vette. The General Lee Vectors are just so-so, they'll do in a pinch, but the AMT Vectors are just about perfect. The General Lee snap kit Vectors are poor copies of poor copies, so- avoid those.  If you want to go with Aftermarket wheels & tires, Fireball Modelworks does a General Lee wheel and tire set. I have seen pics (but not the real pieces), and judging by the pics, they also look really good. Fireball's quality & service are first rate, so, no worries there!

Edited by CapSat 6
More...