Model Cars Magazine Forum

With everything else that I want to do, this kit came into my life and I want to build it...now!  The old tag line from Land Rover was "The Best 4X4 By Far" and with its rugged good looks and a no nonsense drivetrain, it is!  It is a far cry from what Land Rover has to offer today with a Sport Utility Vehicle.  This basic, bare-bones 4X4 has no A/C, no power steering or brakes, no GPS, no leather seats, no auto leveling controls, no electronic wizardry at all, yet this 4X4 could go just about anywhere you point it towards.  I am building the Monogram Land Rover kit #2279.  The engine will be wired and who knows what other details I can add.  I will paint the body with Tamiya TS-9 British Green with a light grey/off-white interior.  The tires in the kit are Goodyear Tracker A-Ts and I had painted the tire letters with Tamiya XF-2 Flat White paint and a fine tip brush and some of the lettering was a bit messy.  Having bought a new Gelly Roll pen earlier this week, I touchup the lettering.  Some of the things about this kit has me scratching my head like why is there a wide spare tire sitting on the hood?  Even with a tire that large and heavy, who'd want to pick it up and place it on the hood?

More Land Rover to come...

LR01.JPG

LR02.JPG

LR03.JPG

Curtis, are you going for a stock look?  I think the color palette is rather small for the Land Rover and I am not really sure what year vehicle the Land Rover is.  I went with the British Green since I can see that color on a Land Rover in my mind.  Or, white like the box art, minus the gaudy decals!

Dusty blue, dusty grey-green, dark bronze green, or cream are all good Series Land Rover colours (the iconic one is the sage-y dusty grey green, which is the same as RAF Interior Green, because it was using up surplus stocks. Available from testors or Mission Models as well as in many other paint ranges). The hood is a very standard place for a spare wheel fitting, as is the centre of the rear door. Or both, if you're planning a long off road expedition...

best,

M.

4 minutes ago, Atmobil said:

I would go for marine blue with white wheels. I,m not an expert but I think it is supposed to be a 70s series 3. This is one of my holy grale kits so it's nice to see noe built.

Wheels,Roof panel and rear side panels should be painted in limestone 

Edited by GeeBee

11 hours ago, mrmike said:

Curtis, are you going for a stock look?  I think the color palette is rather small for the Land Rover and I am not really sure what year vehicle the Land Rover is.  I went with the British Green since I can see that color on a Land Rover in my mind.  Or, white like the box art, minus the gaudy decals!

The stock look,i see that someone has posted a color chart and that pageant Blue looks real nice!.

2 hours ago, Atmobil said:

Ah? I always thought it was pure white but white is not always white:)

Reading some info online, white and limestone was used on the roof on various ones.

Edit, white was used on the regular version , the station wagon was limestone .

Edited by martinfan5

9 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Reading some info online, white and limestone was used on the roof on various ones.

Edit, white was used on the regular version , the station wagon was limestone .

White was only available for fleet vehicles, i.e police and other utilities, and wasn't available to the public, that changed after the V8 phase one and the later 110 Land Rovers.

9 hours ago, kelson said:

The stock look,i see that someone has posted a color chart and that pageant Blue looks real nice!.

Pageant blue was only available on the later V8 phase one models, and not the earlier 88 inch station wagon

12 hours ago, GeeBee said:

White was only available for fleet vehicles, i.e police and other utilities, and wasn't available to the public, that changed after the V8 phase one and the later 110 Land Rovers.

Well not according to info ive been finding,  not saying you are wrong, just its different than what I am finding.

Cool Project!   I've been looking for one of these Monogram kits for a while.  When found today, they want major bucks for them!  And of course the minute I plunk down that money, they will announce a reissue!

I moved to Pennsylvania in 2009 to work for a British pharmaceutical company. One of the transplanted Brits brought one of these with him and drove it to work every day, right hand drive and all.  His was blue.

11 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Well not according to info ive been finding,  not saying you are wrong, just its different than what I am finding.

I'm not saying I know everything Land Rover, but I did work for the parent company,British Leyland when the Series 3 was current, however i do know what colours we painted them, White was not available until the 1990's for the general public

Pastel Green 1959 - 1984
Bronze Green 1959 - 1988
Deep Olive Green 1970 - 1971
Lincoln green 1970 - 1984
Wildlife green 1972 0nly, Australia only
Java Green - Stage I only
Marine Blue 1958 - 1987
Tuscan blue 1972 - 1987
Pageant Blue Stage I only
Limestone 1959 - 1984
Poppy Red - 1959 - 1968
Masai Red 1970 - 1985, Stage I & County models only
Russet Brown - SIII County model only
Sand 1959 - 1984
Bahama Gold - 1971 - 1989
Inca Yellow Stage I only
Mid grey 1959 - 1984
dark grey (burnt gray) 1959 - 1968

Sandglow "Camel trophy Yellow"

Some of the colours listed were for export only and not available for the home market,some were also special order.

Edited by GeeBee

11 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Got a link?   Is it possible they're confusing Limestone with white?  I can't recall ever seeing a white Land Rover.

15 minutes ago, dodgefever said:

Got a link?   Is it possible they're confusing Limestone with white?  I can't recall ever seeing a white Land Rover.

As I said earlier, White (Leyland white) was only available for fleet vehicles, i.e police etc, Limestone (more cream than white) was the only white available for the general public, White was available on the Range Rover from the start of production but not the land rover series 3 

Metcars20_2844769k.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

When the limestone faded it could very easily be confused for white. I live on the scottish island in a farming community so these were everywhere and all in faded green with a dull white appearing (faded limestone) top. Most of them were 88 and 90 wheelbases.

10 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

When the limestone faded it could very easily be confused for white. I live on the scottish island in a farming community so these were everywhere and all in faded green with a dull white appearing (faded limestone) top. Most of them were 88 and 90 wheelbases.

Land Rover ninety and 110, white was available, Limestone White was still available, but these models are totally different from the series 3, one piece windshield and front panel now level with the front wings are just two of the differences.

Edited by GeeBee

16 hours ago, dodgefever said:

Just to be clear as I think there is some confusion , I was talking about white roofs and wheels, not body color

Various Land Rover owners forums, far as I got.

16 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Land Rover ninety and 110, white was available, Limestone White was still available, but these models are totally different from the series 3, one piece windshield and front panel now level with the front wings are just two of the differences.

I think there was some confusion Geoff, I was talking about white roof/wheels, not body colors.

9 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I think there was some confusion Geoff, I was talking about white roof/wheels, not body colors.

Again, those items should be Limestone, pure white became available on the later Ninety and 110, not the Series 3 88 and 109 inch models, if you've seen photos to the contrary, they've been restored using the incorrect colours, I'm talking about Land Rovers built in Solihull, Land Rovers were built in different countries using CKD kits, and may well have been painted in different colours, I have no reference material for those, I do know that models built in Australia did use different colours, they used Tuscan blue, which was only available on the Range Rover in the UK. 

Edited by GeeBee

An opportunity to work on the Land Rover for a bit yesterday at my Play Date at Barry's house.  I started off with gluing the engine block halves together and painting the engine with St. Lawrence Blue by Polly Scale.  This will get a coating of Model Master Acryl Semi Gloss Clear to give it a slight gloss.  Next, I moved to installing the front cowl and the upper bed sides to the body.  My goal was to paint the body British Green and the top with white, but Barry, Paul and Pat are trying to get me to paint the body with another color.  I'm thinking about it, but I may stay with the green.  We shall see...

More Land Rover to come...

LR04.JPG

LR05.JPG

LR06.JPG