Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Land Rover Series 3 109 inch

GeeBee

nintchdbpict000374491129.jpgI'd like to get one to do the 'Death in Paradise' police unit, My research has it as a 'Defender' with a different front radiator and hood which I don't think would be hard to make. Interestingly some of the photos show two different units with different plates and tire/wheel combinations, Any fans of the show from over the pond can nail down what season which/where and when the units were used would be appreciated. It was on for nine seasons and hopefully a tenth. Seems that the unit with the mag wheels has had a hard run as the right front corner of the hood and grill is damaged. Left hand drive unit. Also another build would be the Royal Enfield cycle and side car

gregvlcsnap-00019.36.jpg

Edited by GLMFAA1
added picture

7 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

I don't think I've ever seen one carrying the spare on the front slope of the roof, as that artwork suggests: bonnet occasionally, and back door regularly, but not on the roof (without an expedition rack, anyway). Especially since that picture seems to show the double skin "hot climate" roof, which our imported from Spain station wagon had. IIRC it was a very lightweight sheet of aluminium supported on fairly thin pillars... not something you'd want to bolt a wheel and tyre onto...

best,

M.

If you look at the closer view of the hood, you see there are two spots in the middle that look like "optional holes" where the builder can open them up through for something optional. I wonder if they are for if you want to mount the spare to the hood. I can't see the back door however to see whether it has the option too or not.

7 hours ago, Jordan White said:

If you look at the closer view of the hood, you see there are two spots in the middle that look like "optional holes" where the builder can open them up through for something optional. I wonder if they are for if you want to mount the spare to the hood. I can't see the back door however to see whether it has the option too or not.

759-series-bonnets2.jpg

I've been poring over the sprue shots for some time (saddo that I am), and I can't see anything that looks like the "pie dish" mounting plate (17 in Luc's helpful pic above). If it's not there, that and the rear door mount should be an easy one for an enterprising resin or 3D printed aftermarket detail parts maker to come up with...

best,

M.

17 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

I’ve seen that photo. But like I say, I’ve never seen one like that in the real world on (or off) the road in the UK in the last 40 years. Ever. It’s certainly not a “common” or “typical” arrangement. And Revell wouldn’t be the first model company to bring to market a kit of what turns out to be a unique or highly unusual prototype or a well-intentioned but inaccurate “restoration.” I’m not disputing that there’s a Land Rover that looks like that, just saying that when I build mine, the spare’s going to be in one of the places that every Landy I’ve ever seen has got it fitted...

beat,

M.

So you've never seen one in the UK. Fine. Doesn't mean there isn't one somewhere else, and doesn't make the fitting wrong. The things modelers will complain about.

Edited by Classicgas

3 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

I've been poring over the sprue shots for some time (saddo that I am), and I can't see anything that looks like the "pie dish" mounting plate (17 in Luc's helpful pic above). If it's not there, that and the rear door mount should be an easy one for an enterprising resin or 3D printed aftermarket detail parts maker to come up with...

best,

M.

or use soup/pudding bowls from a barbie tea set

19 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

something odd about this one, the indicators left and right are positioned differently

That's the very reason why I'm tempted to make exactly that one.
It's a Series II that has a replacement wing from a later Series IIA.

So, I hope I can get a 'dished' hood so that the spare can return to its proper place on the hood. When I build mine, the first build will have the spare on the back door. Hopefully by the time I build my second one, the aftermarket will have the proper hood available. This kit looks so far, like a Home Run for Revell.

28 minutes ago, alexis said:

So, I hope I can get a 'dished' hood so that the spare can return to its proper place on the hood. When I build mine, the first build will have the spare on the back door. Hopefully by the time I build my second one, the aftermarket will have the proper hood available. This kit looks so far, like a Home Run for Revell.

Looking at the seats for this one, and the fact that is hasn't got the dished (Deluxe) bonnet, means that this is a basic Land Rover and as such, the spare wheel would have been just put in the rear load bay at the factory, the mount for the spare, either on the bonnet or on the rear door would have been a dealer fit option if that's what the customer wanted.

15 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

Looking at the seats for this one, and the fact that is hasn't got the dished (Deluxe) bonnet, means that this is a basic Land Rover and as such, the spare wheel would have been just put in the rear load bay at the factory, the mount for the spare, either on the bonnet or on the rear door would have been a dealer fit option if that's what the customer wanted.

I couldn't figure out from the sprues whether this kit has the centre facing fold up seats along each side of the load bay... I can't see any sign of fixing points on the raised areas at the back of the floor pan part, but they might mount only onto the walls if folded up. It seems that Series Landy owners have been known to mount the spare on the back of the transverse bulkhead behind the seats, trading a reduction in load space inside for not overstressing the rear door hinges or making the bonnet heavy to lift, and painful indeed if it drops on your head with a 75lb wheel on the top...

best,

M.

Good Points, Matt & Geoff. I had not thought about either. However, from my point of view, the only place the spare belongs on a LR is the hood. Years of TV watching have had that effect. I'm only concerned with the "Look" of the build right now.  I wonder if the Hood from the Italeri kit can be transplanted?

On 8/9/2019 at 7:01 PM, Rob Hall said:

Lots of opportunities to scratch build variations, or for resin casters...

I like the pickups, some seem to have a separate bed and some integrated w/ the cab.    

220px-Land_Rover_109_Pick-Up_1980.jpg

This will be the first conversion I do with one. I wish I could set it up like my '67 Jeepster and be able to just switch tops or leave it off. Have to see when I get my hands on it.  

1 minute ago, Matt Bacon said:

...of course, it would be very wrong for an enterprising caster just to copy the Esci/Italeri bonnet in resin... ;-P

best,

M.

Why? Innumerable parts, like engines and long OOP things like bodies for Johan and MPC Mopars are cast by guys everyone does business with.

Yes, really. The item number is VMD24002, which is for the 1/24 Land Rover. The scale indicated on the instruction sheet is a typo, common in Minor listings.  See HERE. It is listed under "Detail Sets 1/24 Scale". This is the set for 1/35 Italeri, Tamiya and other LWB Land Rovers.

image.png.b983f0f1b96556bd323a47b5f6deac76.png

image.png.6b66291bf79ffc2449518fd3b8af0c7c.png

image.png.fbe1970725ba566f98c4ff39d4c338db.png

image.png.fe15b729a0ee7ef283508b708b107d81.png

image.png

Edited by SfanGoch