Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Land Rover Series 3 109 inch

GeeBee

On 10/08/2019 at 10:13 PM, GLMFAA1 said:

nintchdbpict000374491129.jpgI'd like to get one to do the 'Death in Paradise' police unit, My research has it as a 'Defender' with a different front radiator and hood which I don't think would be hard to make. Interestingly some of the photos show two different units with different plates and tire/wheel combinations, Any fans of the show from over the pond can nail down what season which/where and when the units were used would be appreciated. It was on for nine seasons and hopefully a tenth. Seems that the unit with the mag wheels has had a hard run as the right front corner of the hood and grill is damaged. Left hand drive unit. Also another build would be the Royal Enfield cycle and side car

gregvlcsnap-00019.36.jpg

The bodywork changes are more extensive than meets the eye at first glance, but could be accomplished with a lot of work.
Where the proper effort starts, however, is the conversion to the coil spring setup and scratchbuilding of the engine, gearbox and transfer case.

7314-3.jpg

As I said earlier, the Hongwell would be a much easier base for Defender variants.
A 1/24 scale Royal Enfield is available from IXO.

On 11/08/2019 at 4:17 PM, Junkman said:

That's the very reason why I'm tempted to make exactly that one.
It's a Series II that has a replacement wing from a later Series IIA.

No, both the Series 2 and 2A had the lamps mounted horizontally, the wing that has the lamps vertically has come off a military Land Rover.

Looks really good. I shall definitely be having a couple. It'll be interesting trying to figure out a good paint effect for the ?galvanised? bits of metalwork, which IIRC have quite a distinctive "crystal" pattern... might be another application for a sponging technique.

Although the kit may come with left and right hand dashes, there'll be some more substantial reorganisation to be done in the engine bay to switch sides.

Looking forward to getting my hands on the real thing!

best,

M.

Brush on some methylene chloride (acrylic solvent) or some other quick evaporating adhesive on the surface, using crosshatched (45°) strokes from one side to the other. The result will be a fairly good representation of galvanized steel when oversprayed with steel metalizer.

Edited by SfanGoch

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

Its up for pre ordering in the land of the Rising Sun, just under $40 US and the release date is showing for after Nov

I was speaking to my contact at Revell yesterday, I was told the release date was 1st of November for U.K release.

11 hours ago, GeeBee said:

I was speaking to my contact at Revell yesterday, I was told the release date was 1st of November for U.K release.

Its seems most time's Japan gets Revell AG kits about month after their UK release .

Edited by martinfan5

I don't know if anyone else needs this color chart, but I found it helpful: http://funrover.com/tips-guides/funrover-land-rover-factory-paint-guide/

It will ask you to sign up for/sign into Drop Box, but you don't have to do that.  It isn't the way I would do it, but if you don't have access to all the color chips, this will at least get you to a color used on the year you desire to build so that you can look it up elsewhere for a chip or someone to mix it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 1:11 PM, Matt Bacon said:

I guess that with luck there’ll be a few knocking around with vendors at Scale Model World, then...

best,

M.

Revell have updated the release date to the middle of October,so should be a few sellers at SMW selling them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...