Model Cars Magazine Forum

Boy, how good we had it when Modelhaus was in business.

My intention was to suggest that those who Can Afford the resin but hesitate then find out later that what they wanted is either NLA or the vendor has closed up shop have no one to blame but themselves. "He who snoozes looses". I understand the hesitation to spend a wad on resin stuff. I have a nice group of original release kits and most need something to make them complete. Holthaus had everything I needed but the total came to over $ 400 .00 so I didn't pull the trigger and do it knowing full well that I will probably never find everything I need.

Hopefully, someone will be able to buy Don out and start casting again. The prices of parted-out kits is soaring, and nobody seems to even be trying to make reproduction parts.

I've made the statement before, and will again....I have enough space to erect a building and re-start operations. If anyone wants to partner with me financially and split profits, I'll do it. If you live near and want to help cast as well, so much the better.

Charlie Larkin

• 3 weeks later...

I spoke with Don Holthaus for quite a while this morning. They will have a table at the last Toledo toy show and will be selling two new kits at that time. Yes you read that correctly...New Kits! One will be a phantom "El Camino" '50's Pontiac and the other will be a '57 Pontiac sedan delivery. Don says the real '57 Pontiac SD was produced in Canada. These new kits will be available in limited numbers as none will be recast when the molds are no longer usable.Just when we thought that there was little hope of new Modelhaus kits...here they are.

"They will have a table at the last Toledo toy show"

Tom,

Do you mean the last Toledo show ever or the last one for this year?  I used to go to Toledo for the spring and fall shows for years, but it was pretty much the same promos every time, so I quit going several years ago.

On 8/9/2019 at 1:09 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

A lot of small cottage industries have started to take up the slack with a few bits here and a few bits there; also many of us here have started casting rare parts on our own and sharing them with friends. I've done it here.

This is the American way, when a product can not be found, we find a way to produce it our self. The very foundation of American business.

On 8/21/2019 at 11:51 AM, charlie8575 said:

Hopefully, someone will be able to buy Don out and start casting again. The prices of parted-out kits is soaring, and nobody seems to even be trying to make reproduction parts.

I've made the statement before, and will again....I have enough space to erect a building and re-start operations. If anyone wants to partner with me financially and split profits, I'll do it. If you live near and want to help cast as well, so much the better.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie,

The way I understood it, Don was having to remake molds as they wore out after so many pourings or they deteriorated from sitting around and that was the laborious part of the business. I think that was also why they had a hard time finding a buyer for their stuff as it was labor intensive to rebuild molds and pour the resin. I am sure if you talk to any of the resin casters they will tell you that casting resin is done for the love of the hobby as much as it is to turn a buck.

I would think if you were to erect a building and start casting it would take a long time to earnback your investment. I think most resin casters work out of a home based workshop or small garage for that very reason. I applaud your desire and interest, just wish it wasn't so expensive!

I was lucky enough to be able to buy some stuff before they closed for good and of course wish I could have bought more, but realistically I got what I wanted/needed and did not go overboard. I am glad to hear Don has created a couple of new kits as he stated that is what he wanted to do in retirement and wish him and Carol the best.

5 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Will they only be sold there at Toledo?

That will be the first time they will be available as far as I know. Their web site no longer exists so they are considering having them available on their son's website where their tires are being sold.

44 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

Charlie,

The way I understood it, Don was having to remake molds as they wore out after so many pourings or they deteriorated from sitting around and that was the laborious part of the business. I think that was also why they had a hard time finding a buyer for their stuff as it was labor intensive to rebuild molds and pour the resin. I am sure if you talk to any of the resin casters they will tell you that casting resin is done for the love of the hobby as much as it is to turn a buck.

I would think if you were to erect a building and start casting it would take a long time to earnback your investment. I think most resin casters work out of a home based workshop or small garage for that very reason. I applaud your desire and interest, just wish it wasn't so expensive!

I was lucky enough to be able to buy some stuff before they closed for good and of course wish I could have bought more, but realistically I got what I wanted/needed and did not go overboard. I am glad to hear Don has created a couple of new kits as he stated that is what he wanted to do in retirement and wish him and Carol the best.

Don told me again yesterday that a number of people inquired about the purchase of the business but once they found out that Carol and Don worked seven days a week to keep up with orders none ever inquired again. Their dedication and work ethic was unprecedented.

1 hour ago, Motor City said:

"They will have a table at the last Toledo toy show"

Tom,

Do you mean the last Toledo show ever or the last one for this year?  I used to go to Toledo for the spring and fall shows for years, but it was pretty much the same promos every time, so I quit going several years ago.

What I evidently should have made more clear was that the last Toledo toy show will be this October 2019 and the Modelhaus will have a table at that show. 

On 9/7/2019 at 8:24 AM, mikemodeler said:

Charlie,

I've discussed some of the pitfalls with other casters off and on, here and there. It's a tough run, no question there. I'm wondering if some of the casting could be replaced with 3-D printing? Or it might even be worth looking into doing small aluminum moulds for high-demand items and acquiring one of the little table-top torpedo-ram style injection moulding machines. That would cut down on labor, and probably save tons of money over time from not re-making moulds, nevermind the labor involved in their creation.

As to a building, a steel building of adequate size isn't too expensive, and I'd probably get it back on sale of the house (if I were ever to sell.) If the building can also be made multi-purpose for additional revenue (for example, put some garage stalls to rent to people who need to store their cars for the winter,) there are always good opportunities if you keep your eye open and look at alternatives.

I keep it in mind, and if I can figure out a way to make it work, then it shall be done.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie Larkin:

Hello,

Read your response in reference to the situation with Modelhaus.  I wholeheartedly agree with you on the 3d printing.  In my opinion 3d printing is the future of the resin casting industry.  The masters are already done.  There just needs to be a person or company to buy all of Modelhaus's masters and do full blown production with 3d printing.  That's the direction that this operation would have to take.  If you are the one that decides to take on this I beleive the modeling community would highly support you.  As someone mentioned in a prior response to this thread;  parted out kits are going for big money now.  These individuals in my opinion are taking advantage of the fact that Modelhaus is gone and there is no other way to get original parts unless you buy from these people and buy at very high prices.  Well, good luck if you decide to do this.  I know many modelers will be both happy and releived that someone has picked up where Modelhaus left off.

12 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Charlie Larkin:

Hello,

Read your response in reference to the situation with Modelhaus.  I wholeheartedly agree with you on the 3d printing.  In my opinion 3d printing is the future of the resin casting industry.  The masters are already done.  There just needs to be a person or company to buy all of Modelhaus's masters and do full blown production with 3d printing.  That's the direction that this operation would have to take.  If you are the one that decides to take on this I beleive the modeling community would highly support you.  As someone mentioned in a prior response to this thread;  parted out kits are going for big money now.  These individuals in my opinion are taking advantage of the fact that Modelhaus is gone and there is no other way to get original parts unless you buy from these people and buy at very high prices.  Well, good luck if you decide to do this.  I know many modelers will be both happy and releived that someone has picked up where Modelhaus left off.

It is not that easy. If someone did take over the business, they would also have to be as fastidious and quality oriented as Don was to produce those fine castings everybody is pining for.  You could have some hack take the business over and make shoddy castings with bunch of pinholes and other flaws.  Who would want to buy those.  From what I see around me, fastidious people are hard to come by nowadays.

• 1 month later...