Model Cars Magazine Forum

48 Chevy Fleetline - old school bomb

geetee66

Is it possible to modify the radiator at this point or notch the inner body to allow the hood to move into place ? I'd also verify that the components are mounted correctly. Sometimes we take things apart and reassemble again during construction and focusing on one assembly lose track of another, or it could just be me. Paint is lookin great.        

On 10/10/2019 at 3:03 PM, espo said:

Is it possible to modify the radiator at this point or notch the inner body to allow the hood to move into place ? I'd also verify that the components are mounted correctly. Sometimes we take things apart and reassemble again during construction and focusing on one assembly lose track of another, or it could just be me. Paint is lookin great.        

Thanks Espo. Yeah, I had to go back and check everything, but there seems to be a flaw in this kit. My previous build of this kit had front end issues too. Pity I couldn't recall how I fixed that. It was several years ago.

I had a look on YouTube. There's a few videos on there featuring this kit. As far as I can see, they all have the same problem, which made me feel better about mine.

Anyway, the issue seems to be a combination of problems: radiator sits a few mm too high, which has now been trimmed down and the chassis, ahead of the firewall, dips down. This makes the radiator lean forward, pressing against the shroud which I also trimmed back.

But even after these adjustments, it's not perfect. The inner wheel arches hit the firewall and so cannot move back any further. All contact points line up and I know for sure that the body cannot move, as it mounts up platform-style, with locator pins. The main problem, as I see it, is the position of the firewall and the distance between that and the radiator shroud. It's too long.

anyway, I have found a compromise that closes the horrendous gap in front of the windshield. Hopefully get it finished any day now.

test fitted the swamp cooler now it has some BMF strips and a wire support.

IMG_3808.JPG

IMG_3809.JPG

5128DB84-CC60-4502-9A2F-020C5A41E6DB.jpg

Edited by geetee66

4 hours ago, geetee66 said:

Thanks Espo. Yeah, I had to go back and check everything, but there seems to be a flaw in this kit. My previous build of this kit had front end issues too. Pity I couldn't recall how I fixed that. It was several years ago.

I had a look on YouTube. There's a few videos on there featuring this kit. As far as I can see, they all have the same problem, which made me feel better about mine.

Anyway, the issue seems to be a combination of problems: radiator sits a few mm too high, which has now been trimmed down and the chassis, ahead of the firewall, dips down. This makes the radiator lean forward, pressing against the shroud which I also trimmed back.

But even after these adjustments, it's not perfect. The inner wheel arches hit the firewall and so cannot move back any further. All contact points line up and I know for sure that the body cannot move, as it mounts up platform-style, with locator pins. The main problem, as I see it, is the position of the firewall and the distance between that and the radiator shroud. It's too long.

anyway, I have found a compromise that closes the horrendous gap in front of the windshield. Hopefully get it finished any day now.

test fitted the swamp cooler now it has some BMF strips and a wire support.

IMG_3808.JPG

IMG_3809.JPG

5128DB84-CC60-4502-9A2F-020C5A41E6DB.jpg

Sorry to hear of your misfortune on this build. I have the coupe version that I plan to build soon so I'll pay close attention to the front end fitment. I do like how your paint work turned out. 

Absolutely splendid build of this '48 Chevy Fleetline, Guy....... and I can see you have had quite a struggle with that front end and hood. The paint finish is extremely attractive, and when your photos showed the steps leading up to the intended finish, I couldn't quite see where it was going, but oh boy does it ' pop '. I agree that the metal trim transfers do add a great deal to this car, so well worth the effort, as you say. Huge amount of painstaking work on your part..... and it will reward you as you get near to completing this one.

David