Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another paint booth variation

A good friend of mine passed away about two years ago, and I inherited a lot of his model building supplies, including this spray booth that he made himself. It's big, about 5' tall on a 2x4 base.

IMG_1535_zpsmat5u9hu.jpg

He had a huge cast aluminum and steel exhaust motor and fan on the back of the unit that stuck out about 2 feet, much too bulky to put the unit against the window in my model room. So I replaced it with a 4" 12 volt boat bilge fan, 240 CFM if I recall. Ebay purchase. This fan is ignition/explosion proof, very important when exhausting volatile fumes.

IMG_1522_zpsnzemffku.jpg

How do you make a 4' fan draw through a 12.75" hole? With a plastic mixing bowl found at the 99c store. After looking for something all over creation, that is.

IMG_1531_zpscdqqlp6n.jpg

The 4" flange and sleeve and the dryer duct were hardware store items. I bought a 7" wide pine board from Home Depot and cut it to fit the window, cut a 4" hole in it, painted it, and put the flange on. I sandwiched a piece of window screen between the flange and the board.

IMG_1526_zpssfojz2gh.jpg

On the outside, I used a dryer duct cover with a flapper door and a bird screen. I don't expect anything to get in the house through this window. I locked the window shut against the board with weather strip on all sides. It's really tight.

IMG_1539_zpsyvmhkynp.jpg

I put a power strip on the side, and plugged in the LED light bar (Home Depot) and 12v power supply (deceased friend). I'm glad he had one, because these are getting hard to find, for some reason.

IMG_1538_zpsk6rjcg8s.jpg

IMG_1543_zpsx3b5y6rg.jpg

Still have to mount that light, but it puts plenty of illumination through that diffuser that my friend thoughtfully added. Complete bowl, fan, and exhaust:

IMG_1533_zps6lzn7xse.jpg

Does the little bilge fan work? Does it ever. The only problem found is that the house A/C blows a lot of cold air outside through the duct, something which I thought would happen. The first fix was to replace the filter with a block off panel each time, though that was kind of a pain to do each time.

IMG_1540_zpsnzm8amoh.jpg

The permanent fix was to install a 4" blast gate, an Amazon purchase that cost 6 bucks delivered and arrived in 1.5 days (!) Don't know how they do that.

IMG_1544_zpszx8t8imz.jpg

Last item is this switch for the air compressor.

IMG_1552_zpscfyhpnq1.jpg

I got an entire model painted in less than a day, including all small parts. Model building just got a whole lot faster.

• 4 weeks later...