Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy, 1st attempt at weathering.

This is my most recent build, been inspired by so many cool builds here. Not happy with the front wheel backspacing. I made the bed floor diamond plate and started weathering it. Also filled the corner glass. This is the cleanest my workbench has been i think ever.   

Comments welcome. 

IMG_4844.JPG

IMG_4841.JPG

IMG_4842.JPG

IMG_4843.JPG

Got some time in today since I could not sleep, work nights. I seen this technique here on the forum, will not take credit. Valero paints using sponges. 1st time trying it and still have more work to do. I'm happy so far with the results. 1st model I have built that and is like all my 1:1 old cars I have had in my life....needs a paint job. ;) 

The paint was still drying in these pics.    

IMG_4850.JPG

IMG_4851.JPG

IMG_4847.JPG

Edited by wrenchr

The more I build the more I am leaning towards primer projects and restoration specials.  NIce work for a first time.  As long as it does not look shiny you are good to go.  A rust bucket modern muscle car would look out of place but this project is perfect.  Those wheels might look a little too clean - oops - I sprayed some "dirt" from far away for just the right amount.

Edited by vamach1

The look I'm going for is an old truck that is being fixed up but leaving the patina on the body. So the drive train will be clean and interior.  

Once I'm happy with the paint I'll dull it.

Edited by wrenchr

If it were me, would wet-sand that before adding more paint, it will add a more realistic patina, and get away from the lumpy paint texture.  Then flat clear with a drop of tan added.

I've built that kit a few times now.  The driveshaft is shown in the incorrect direction, it mounts solid to the axle.  I owned a '48 5 window, and am shocked I tell you, that you filled the corner windows! :blink::lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...