Model Cars Magazine Forum

37 Ford Boyd's roadster

randyc

This is the old smoothster kit.  Straight outta the box.  Chrome was spotty so I touched it up with Molotow and foiled all of the grill bars.  The only parameter I was given is "purple", so it is Boyd's people Pearl.  First can of purple I came across.  

IMG_20190812_192053699.jpg

IMG_20190812_192058247.jpg

IMG_20190812_192028106.jpg

IMG_20190812_192032400.jpg

IMG_20190812_192021176.jpg

IMG_20190812_192024700.jpg

1 hour ago, Modlbldr said:

Nice work Randy. It looks much better in that color than in yellow. I have some parts to this kit and have been wanting to build it. I'll need to see what it's missing.

Later-

Thanks for all the compliments.

I built the original issue in yellow.  Should get it out and take photos of both together.  Also show the progress of my building skills maybe.    I also have the "Vantastic" version as well.  I bought it for the chassis for a street rod project but never used it.   I started the "coupester" but never finished it and sold it.  

16 hours ago, randyc said:

Thanks for all the compliments.

I built the original issue in yellow.  Should get it out and take photos of both together.  Also show the progress of my building skills maybe.    I also have the "Vantastic" version as well.  I bought it for the chassis for a street rod project but never used it.   I started the "coupester" but never finished it and sold it.  

Sounds familiar. I had a Fantastic and used the tires and wheels on another build and traded the rest. I have parts of the Coupster and was thinking of putting the chassis under a 36 Ford 3 window build. I love the chassis and suspension and tires and wheels from these.

Later-

7 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Sounds familiar. I had a Fantastic and used the tires and wheels on another build and traded the rest. I have parts of the Coupster and was thinking of putting the chassis under a 36 Ford 3 window build. I love the chassis and suspension and tires and wheels from these.

Later-

And it seems like I remember the vantastic and coupester were a different plastic "alloy".   The Smoothster version and this one were an unusual plastic.  I thought it's kinda "soapy" feeling.   And definitely wouldn't put it in a dehydrator to dry.   Have had bad results when plastic feels like this.  

3 hours ago, randyc said:

And it seems like I remember the vantastic and coupester were a different plastic "alloy".   The Smoothster version and this one were an unusual plastic.  I thought it's kinda "soapy" feeling.   And definitely wouldn't put it in a dehydrator to dry.   Have had bad results when plastic feels like this.  

That is good to know since I have been using a dehydrator for about a year now. Thanks.

Later-