Model Cars Magazine Forum

I bought a new 1:1 car because of a post on this forum

Nearly every day I peruse the forum for new threads and I really enjoy doing it.   Last Wednesday I was in the Under Glass section and saw a baja beetle thread. It looked really cool. I went to Amazon and ordered up the tamiya kit.

I did some more searching and found the 2019 beetle was finished being built last month. I knew they were being discontinued but I hadn't realized it was actually upon us

I searched online for the different prices and contacted a couple of dealers in the area and found one had the exact one I liked and would sell it for 4000 under sticker including destination fees. Other dealers offered prices but not anywhere near this price. 

I went in to the dealership and looked at it and spoke to the salesperson. After back and forth about the price he finally agreed to the quoted price that was given when I told him I would walk. 

Everything went together fine after a rough start but the price was too good to walk because of a bad salesperson. The next closest price was 2000 higher

Anyway I am now the owner of a new 2019 beetle...all because of a model thread :)20190809_104328.thumb.jpg.e2be4bb63234af7ef64000b6c7880165.jpg

Edited by youpey

36 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Cool, which engine did you choose?

It has the 2.0 turbo. It's much quicker than my fiesta that I traded in but much slower than my long gone 2016 mustang gt

Edited by youpey

Just now, stitchdup said:

nice! any plans for it? they can make a lot of power for a 4 pot

I dont think I will.  I used to have a 2006 gti that I got tuned and it made it really quick and the vw wiped it during a service.  

Honestly, its quick enough for me. I used to own a 2016 mustang gt with the 400+ hp. It was too fast for me. 

I am really enjoying it so far. Only problem is a terrible blindspot on the driver's side, but it has the sensors 

Nice car! The retro models of older cars are cool, but I guess that VW  has gone as far as it can  with a retro beetle. Good to get one of  the last of the line new. It will be interesting to see how much more mileage there will be with the retro Fiat 500 and the BMW Mini ranges.

1 minute ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Nice car! The retro models of older cars are cool, but I guess that VW  has gone as far as it can  with a retro beetle. Good to get one of  the last of the line new. It will be interesting to see how much more mileage there will be with the retro Fiat 500 and the BMW Mini ranges.

I'd say give it 5 years and they'll be the halo electric cars to get people more interested, at least thats what I would do if I ran the companies

On 8/13/2019 at 12:09 PM, Bugatti Fan said:

Talking of electric cars, part of the UK national grid went down this week. How it will cope when everyone has to recharge electric cars regularly is anyone's guess?

Excellent point and one that has been made fairly often.  But yet, we are still heading down the tracks like a runaway freight train towards electric cars.

I have this weird feeling that the powers that be know this, and when the power grids start having problems, they will be more than happy to regulate our driving.