Model Cars Magazine Forum

Glue on windshield and how to remove it

Hello all. Hope everyone's well. I have a Monogram 1969 Dodge 440 Six pack, more commonly known as a Super Bee that I am going to be redoing. I have a bit of a glue smudge on the windshield that I want to remove. The model was built a couple of years back. Any suggestions for removing this nuisance. Thank you.

Depends on the type of glue and how much of it there is. 

If it's not bad, you can sand the area flush and then polish it back to crystal clarity. I've pulled this off a few times. But I've also seen old tube glue "dig in" well below the surface so far it can't be polished out. Oh you can get it all smooth and shiny but there will always be a "white fog" spot there. 

51 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Depends on the type of glue and how much of it there is. 

If it's not bad, you can sand the area flush and then polish it back to crystal clarity. I've pulled this off a few times. But I've also seen old tube glue "dig in" well below the surface so far it can't be polished out. Oh you can get it all smooth and shiny but there will always be a "white fog" spot there. 

Snake thanks. BTW I really enjoyed it when you outed The Brain (Harold Hellman).

4 hours ago, retired & glad said:

I was talking to someone yesterday about this problem. I don't think I've ever built one that I didn't get the clear glue somewhere on the glass where it shouldn't be. I have lightly sanded the glue and dipped or sprayed it with Pledge (Future). It works.

thanks for the tip.

On 8/14/2019 at 5:41 AM, retired & glad said:

I was talking to someone yesterday about this problem. I don't think I've ever built one that I didn't get the clear glue somewhere on the glass where it shouldn't be. I have lightly sanded the glue and dipped or sprayed it with Pledge (Future). It works.

It works unless old tube glue has eaten its way deep below the surface. You can get it as shiny as you want with polish or "Future" but the internal fogging will never go away. I'm trying to wrestle one of those deals to the ground even as we speak. :angry:

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

It works unless old tube glue has eaten its way deep below the surface. You can get it as shiny as you want with polish or "Future" but the internal fogging will never go away. I'm trying to wrestle one of those deals to the ground even as we speak. :angry:

I can't think of many things that aggravates me more than when it's time to install the glass and windshield.  I am almost to the point of making a mold of them before installing and make another set. You've spent hours building and painting and then when time to install the glass, it screws up the whole look when you blotch with the glue.

Do they still make tube glue. I thought  that was long gone by now. When I was a lot younger, that was all anyone could get. I do remember when I used to use it, it would really glue the parts by digging in the styrene.

MY0009-2 jpg 8a15ce2003859be0726772914f6679a1

Okay, do not use any glue that will leave a mark on glass. Buy the above Micro Kristal Kleer.  This is white glue based.  You can smear it all over your windshield and it wipes off with water, without leaving any residue on your glass.  

tape

This is scrap book two sided tape I use to put in windshields.  I didn't invent it, someone on this or another board showed me this.  I bought this at Michael's.  You can put this on the top and bottom of a windshield.  Tape it in place.  Then go around the edges with the Micro Kristal Kleer glue.  Perfect every time!

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

MY0009-2 jpg 8a15ce2003859be0726772914f6679a1

Okay, do not use any glue that will leave a mark on glass. Buy the above Micro Kristal Kleer.  This is white glue based.  You can smear it all over your windshield and it wipes off with water, without leaving any residue on your glass.  

If you don't have a convenient LHS that carries Kristal Kleer, just go to Walmart and get some Tacky Glue in the crafts section. It works just as well if not better at lower cost. 

Worse than glue, for this build I did not want the sliding window that was molded on, so I sanded it off with a somewhat coarse stick, worked down to medium, then fine, and finally with some Novus 2, it came out clear as ever! This same procedure will work with glue on the glass, but the BEST answer is use a glue that won't ruin the clear plastic, as stated by many, cheers, have fun, NO damage to a model can't be repaired with patience!

P1100112 (Large).JPG

P1100117 (Large).JPG

P1100119 (Large).JPG

5 hours ago, dino246gt said:

This same procedure will work with glue on the glass,

P1100119 (Large).JPG

Not if the glue has eaten INTO the glass, it won't. If it's just on the surface, yes, but usually old tube glue has corrupted the styrene to a depth of at least 1/4 through, or more.