Model Cars Magazine Forum
Tom Geiger

Is there a 1/25 scale standard poodle?

Image result for steinbeck's dog charley

As I've gathered the materials to build John Steinbeck's camper from his Travels with Charley... it hit me that I need a Charley!   

DSC00028

I do have this little herd of puppies...  If nobody comes up with a better solution, this black guy may be in trouble!   

To, try a company called Master Box LTD. they do a bunch of different subjects. Mostly people but they are branching out with accessories.

Theres a company in europe called scheif (or something close to that) that make 1/24 scale animals. I have a couple of their dogs and they are pretty nice. This is the 2 I have

DSC05497.JPG

Posted (edited)

Thanks everyone for your input!  Funny thing is that there were enough doggies out there, even on Shapeways there was NO POODLE!   Now I could do some serious damage on my wallet on both Shapeways and the Schleich sites.  In fact Schleich has Schnauzers!  My sister collects miniatures of those so I will have to place an order.  And of course I'll wind up with a small Noah's ark myself when I place that order. Upon seeing that site I remembered that Hobby Lobby had bins of animals on the next aisle over from the models, so I took a look.  I can buy a full tube of near scale dogs for $9.99 (before the magic coupon) but again there was NO POODLE!   Argh!

I will keep on looking, but if I get to a point of deadline, I can see from the doggies I have in my street rod photo that I can use the head from the black one on the body of the white one sitting in the car.  Only I will be squeamish about decapitating the dogs.   Heck, my heart was pounding hard when I cut the feet off a broken man figure to get a set of shoes for my camper!    

Edited by Tom Geiger

Try these guys on Shapeways. https://www.shapeways.com/shops/mininature

Very realistic animals in various scales, and the prices aren't too bad. High, but if it's a match for what you want....

But other than Shapeways I've never seen a poodle in 1/25 1/24 scale. I know there are some dogs out there, but never seen a poodle.

I have this one, beautifully cast by Tom Coolidge of Promolite. it is yours if you want it.PM me your address.

005.JPG

008.JPG

image.png.7af0f2edd8c8670dc98571d3eaf36c5a.png

image.png.a01a8d28a759bcf12d4b73ee197fcd1f.png

Charley arrived after his long trip from Oregon!  Here's some photos trying him out for size.  Note he's perfect for a standard size poodle looking out the window!   Many thanks to Ryan for sending him along.  As soon as I finish up my '50 Ford Jitney I hope to start the Travels with Charley camper!